What is your favorite yeast for American IPA’s??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3522 Ardennes or 2565 Kölsch, ferment at 55-58 for low esters, diacetyl rest 2 days at 66, then lager at 34 for 10 days. I've had very good results brewing clean, malty, highly hopped ales this way.

2 packs US-05 no rehydration.

Dry finish, aggressive, reliable, cheap.

3522 Ardennes or 2565 Kölsch, ferment at 55-58 for low esters, diacetyl rest 2 days at 66, then lager at 34 for 10 days. I've had very good results brewing clean, malty, highly hopped ales this way.

3522 ferments that low?

What kind of American IPAs are we talking? Conan can work wonderfully with some of the more aromatic hop varieties.

I usually use US-05 or Nottingham at the low end of the temperature range. Nottingham is supposedly an English yeast, but it ferments cleanly at low temperatures.

1318, Conan, US-05 and its liquids counterparts, Nottingham is really good, clean and really attenuating, S-04...

But in general, I prefer English strains.

Been using 1056 and its time to try something new this weekend... Thanks

What kind of "American IPA" and how different do you want to be?

If you're looking for something in the Chico line then I've been enjoying the related WLP515 Antwerp, allegedly from de Koninck - it's a seasonal release but Wyeast have released 3655-PC Belgian Schelde as one of their seasonals for April-June 2018 which is meant to be similar.

If you're wanting clean but a bit different then WLP800 Pilsner, allegedly from Urquell but DNA analysis has shown it to be an ale yeast.

If you're wanting to play it safe, then a lot of people like WLP090 San Diego or Imperial Joystick (Pacman) as "better" Chicos.

I used 34/70 @58°F and it was one of the most neutral yeasts I've ever used. It made a fantastic "traditional" American IPA (Willamette, Cascade, and Centennial).

Conan is my favorite yeast for IPAs & Pale Ales by far. I've been using Omega Labs version.

2 packs US-05 no rehydration.

Unless you are making 1/2 bbl batches, that seems like a waste of money. 1 pack is plenty. Hell, I only use one pack of dry lager yeast when I make a lager. No starter, no rehydrating, no off flavors as long as my temperature is in check.

Unless you are making 1/2 bbl batches, that seems like a waste of money. 1 pack is plenty. Hell, I only use one pack of dry lager yeast when I make a lager. No starter, no rehydrating, no off flavors as long as my temperature is in check.

You and I have a very different view on acceptable pitching rates.

Most of my favorites are already mentioned but London ESB(1968) is always in my fridge.

Brulosophy is like MythBusters - entertainment value only.
While Brülosophy certainly isn't science, nor does it claim to be, at the home brew level there's far too much fussing about acceptable pitch rates. If I can make a ~14% barleywine with only one vial of WLP001 and not have any off flavors I think the average brewer can relax a tad.

I really like White Labs 029 Kölsch. It doesn’t have much “Kölsch” flavor, it just ferments very clean, drops clear, and does a good job bringing hops forward.

I really like White Labs 029 Kölsch. It doesn’t have much “Kölsch” flavor, it just ferments very clean, drops clear, and does a good job bringing hops forward.

I had a chance to listen to Joe Mohrfeld from Pint House Pizza in Austin talk about his approach to making IPA’s. He uses Kolsch yeast for all of his IPA’s. He said he likes to have a clean yeast so the hops are at the forefront and he is not wondering if it is esters clashing with the hops etc. etc. He typically is blending up to 6 different hops for the flameout and dry hop. He also said a side benefit of using Kolsch yeast is this yeast like Lager yeasts produce sulfur which can act to preserve the beer.

I rarely use dry yeast because I don't like S04 or S05- but last fall I brewed and didn't have liquid yeast to use. I used BRY97 in five gallons, and S05 in five gallons.

The BRY97 was so much better. I won't use S05 again.

But right now I have a 8.2% IPA on tap, again with a split batch, and I have Wyeast 1335 in half and Wyeast 1217 in half. Both are very good (and very different) but the 1217 is the best.

I'm a fan of 1217, it floccs better and seems to be a bit more temp forgiving than the chico strains IMO. For NEIPAs I use 1318.

Does anybody know what yeast Firestone uses for their Union Jack and Double Jack? I know they use 1968 (or something very similar) in their DBA but it's hard to believe they use the same in their IPAs given they are so different. Anyhow my vote goes to 1056. West coast all the way baby. :rock:

S-05. No risk of off fermentation flavors. It just lets the hops speak for themselves.

Does anybody know what yeast Firestone uses for their Union Jack and Double Jack? I know they use 1968 (or something very similar) in their DBA but it's hard to believe they use the same in their IPAs given they are so different. Anyhow my vote goes to 1056. West coast all the way baby. :rock:

You're better off reading this thread on UJ - there seem to be some debate whether they use 1968/WLP002 in everything, or whether they use WLP007/1098 on some.

As for 1056/US-05/WLP001, it's worth noting what the OP said :

Been using 1056 and its time to try something new this weekend... Thanks

Back