What is your favorite House Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Gumball Head Clone is a house favorite and I wish I had a dedicated tap just for it. ;)

Amount Item Type % or IBU

5.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 50.0 %
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.0 %
1.00 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 10.0 %
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (80 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 9.1 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (15 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (55 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold (Dry Hop) [8.90%] (0 min) Hops -

brewt00l said:
Yeah, you can get 3F in PA. Maybe not where you shop but it's in the eastern side of the state.

Yeah, I normally don't do my beer shopping down your way unfortunately... Maybe I will start having my friend from Westchester area pick it up if you can get it down there. 3F's makes some decent beers for certain...

None of the distributors in the central PA carry it and I don't think the two good beer-bars here have it either (for a 6-er).

Thanks for the heads up though!

I tend to keep some sort of bitter on tap. With the hop shortage my absolute favorite isn't possible to make anymore (I need pounds and pounds of Brewer's Gold and Progress to keep myself happy) so I'm playing with variations of that.

Bitter. :)

RoaringBrewer said:
Yeah, I normally don't do my beer shopping down your way unfortunately... Maybe I will start having my friend from Westchester area pick it up if you can get it down there. 3F's makes some decent beers for certain...

None of the distributors in the central PA carry it and I don't think the two good beer-bars here have it either (for a 6-er).

Thanks for the heads up though!

Try Westys in Camp Hill.

Westy's? Is this a distributor or a bar?

I normally pick up mixed 6's at brewhouse grille in camp hill or market cross in carlisle. I normally go to silver springs distributor on carlisle pike... Might need to add another stop to my usual rotation. Problem with the PA laws though is that I don't like to buy an entire case of one type of beer normally with all my other selection and 3-4 kegs of homebrew at a given time. I'll pick up seasonal stuff (nugget nectar, celebration ale) in an entire case, but otherwise I prefer mixed pack cases. Wonder if they have a 3F mix pack, that would be sweet...

EDIT: Found some info on it. I've seen this place, but didn't look like a beer paradise to me from the outside, so I didn't stop.... neat! a+ from beeradvocate.com. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2884/?view=beerfly&ba=JohnnyM2002

Kona Pale Ale (Hoppy APA)
Jamil's Bitter (Malty session brew)
Sterling Gold (Light and Spicy session brew)

They pretty much cover whatever my taste is at the moment.

If I had to choose only one? Kona...

My simple Haus Amber Ale, just came online today....I'm surprised how nice it tastes....Just as I hoped it would be. It will now be my goto beer....I wish I had the space for a kegorator and kegs, this would be my standard beer.

It tastes nearly dead on to Bell's Amber Ale...I bet with a little tweaking I'd have a perfect clone.

(xtract w/grain)

6 lbs. Amber Dme.
1.5 lbs. Munton’s Crystal 60L
2.0 oz Cascade 5.9 % at 60 min.
1.0 oz. Cascade 5.9% at flameout.

Yum!!!!! I honestly never thought something with so few ingredients would taste so good!

I try to have an IPA on tap but drink it too fast to keep it very long. I'm going to make 10 gallon batches this summer, I think. The recipe is my DFH 60 minute clone.

I try to always have
Full Owl ESB
Fat Owl Pale Ale
Dark Owl Sweet Stout or Irish Owl Dry Stout

if only one it would be the Full Owl. It is really close to Fullers, which is my favorite beer.

RoaringBrewer said:
Westy's? Is this a distributor or a bar?

I normally pick up mixed 6's at brewhouse grille in camp hill or market cross in carlisle. I normally go to silver springs distributor on carlisle pike... Might need to add another stop to my usual rotation. Problem with the PA laws though is that I don't like to buy an entire case of one type of beer normally with all my other selection and 3-4 kegs of homebrew at a given time. I'll pick up seasonal stuff (nugget nectar, celebration ale) in an entire case, but otherwise I prefer mixed pack cases. Wonder if they have a 3F mix pack, that would be sweet...

EDIT: Found some info on it. I've seen this place, but didn't look like a beer paradise to me from the outside, so I didn't stop.... neat! a+ from beeradvocate.com. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2884/?view=beerfly&ba=JohnnyM2002

I just wanted to chime in that Westy's is incredible, and I know they carry 3F. At least they did back in Jan. when I was there. You're right, it's not much to look at from the outside, but it's beautiful inside!!!

I like to have an APA or IPA around at all times. When I run out of whatever one I've brewed, I make the next batch, then buy some commercial craft ones to compare.

So far I love having an Irish Red around. However once I keg and tap my stout with beer gas it might change. :D

Euphist said:
Yea, but this is one of those threads that's kind of nice to have pop back up once in a while...

They need to be crushed.

Thank you

To crush can you just put in a ziplock and hit with meat tenderizer?

I try to have NB's Dead Ringer IPA (Bell's Two Hearted clone) on tap as often as possible. The problem is that I drink it too quickly.

To crush can you just put in a ziplock and hit with meat tenderizer?

So primal...

I wouldn't recommend it but you gotta do what you gotta do. Since you're just doing a steep you aren't worried about efficiency so the crush size isn't too much of an issue, as long as you separate the husk from the goodness inside you'll probably be okay. If I was going to use a meat tenderizer, I'd put the grain underneath a round cake pan on a sheet pan and hit the cake pan with the tenderizer to help distribute the force so you don't end up with some over crushed/flattened grain and some untouched grain.

I haven't really gotten a house beer yet, especially since I don't have a kegging system yet, but the Kolsch I have in primary might end up as the house beer.

Same issue as Keesh, have a freezer in waiting and 6 kegs now but no keezer as of yet.

Either the Gumballhead Inspired WPA or a Blanche De Chambly clone attempt, that at bottling, tasted more like a Hoegardden, might have to become the house ales once the kegging system is up and running.

Latest posts

Back