What is your favorite combo of New Zealand hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
Going to do a fruity/tropical APA and want to try 2-3 New Zealand hops for it (or maybe citra plus one or two from NZ). Which combo of New Zealand hops do you think works best together? Motueka is the only one I have used a few times

Riwaka and Nelson together is my favorite NZ combo. I do a NZ Pilsner that’s medaled 3 times that is 2:1 ratio of Riwaka to Nelson. I also love to paid the two with Citra for ipas. Absolutely love it

Riwaka and Nelson together is my favorite NZ combo. I do a NZ Pilsner that’s medaled 3 times that is 2:1 ratio of Riwaka to Nelson. I also love to paid the two with Citra for ipas. Absolutely love it
Awesome, I haven’t been able to get ahold of riwaka yet, I made a NZ with motueka and Nelson instead because of it. Maybe I’ll try to get some and do riwaka, Nelson, and citra for the apa. What ratio do you use on your ipa if you don’t mind me asking?

I've been going through a pound or so of green bullet and southern cross and it gives a bit of a fruity, pineapple-ly taste that is pretty unique when combined.

I've been going through a pound or so of green bullet and southern cross and it gives a bit of a fruity, pineapple-ly taste that is pretty unique when combined.
Very interesting what style do you use those in?

I second Riwaka and Nelson together with Citra. Great combo. Also, I have a Waimea, Citra, Nectaron on tap that I love this combo as well. Used Waimea primarily as a heavy dose in the late boil and Citra, nectaron the rest of the way with an emphasis on Nectron over Citra in the Dry hop. Waimea still shines through quite nicely too. Pretty darn fruity for sure but still has some smooth pine/resin to help balance the fruitiness.

That NZ Pilsner sounds great, would share any recipe details?

That NZ Pilsner sounds great, would share any recipe details?
It really is a great beer

Grain;
93% Pilsner
5% Cara Pils
2% Biscuit malt
Mash: 150*f & 5.3 ph
Og: 1.054
Fg: 1.010
Abv: 5.8%

Yeast: 34/70

Hops:
.5 oz pacific Jade @ 60

1 oz Riwaka
.5 oz Nelson @ 10

1.5 oz Riwaka
.75 oz Nelson at F. O.

BC0DBB80-0B03-4772-AE47-304F815C0715.jpeg

Grain;
93% Pilsner
5% Cara Pils
2% Biscuit malt

Hops:
.5 oz pacific Jade @ 60

1 oz Riwaka
.5 oz Nelson @ 10

1.5 oz Riwaka
.75 oz Nelson at F. O.

View attachment 736182
Looks incredible, thanks for sharing! When I tried to make a NZ pils I used motueka for bittering, do you think pacific jade is a cleaner bittering hop?

Looks incredible, thanks for sharing! When I tried to make a NZ pils I used motueka for bittering, do you think pacific jade is a cleaner bittering hop?
I never used motueka to bitter so I can compare them in that sense, but pacific jade is a clean bittering hop and it carries some spiciness into the finish, which really work well for the style

If you haven’t used Southern Cross lately (or ever) I’d give it a try. It’s part of the blend in Alpine’s “Nelson” that really put NZ hops on the map for US craft beer drinkers.

It’s the hop highest in the 2MIB thiol (apricot) and the stuff I’ve bought recently has smelled pretty damn good. I haven’t used it much on its own but blended it in with other hops in smaller percentages. It’s also not nearly as spendy as some of the other NZ varieties. Did a recent all NZ IPA that was 60/30/10 Nelson Riwaka Southern Cross that I really enjoyed.

Grain;
93% Pilsner
5% Cara Pils
2% Biscuit malt

Hops:
.5 oz pacific Jade @ 60

1 oz Riwaka
.5 oz Nelson @ 10

1.5 oz Riwaka
.75 oz Nelson at F. O.

View attachment 736182

Thanks for posting that 🤙 Think I missed your target og/fg before. I’m planning a southern cross & nelson NZ pils based on your recipe.

Grain;
93% Pilsner
5% Cara Pils
2% Biscuit malt

Hops:
.5 oz pacific Jade @ 60

1 oz Riwaka
.5 oz Nelson @ 10

1.5 oz Riwaka
.75 oz Nelson at F. O.

View attachment 736182

Did you do anything different with the water profile than a typical German or Czech pilsner?

Did you do anything different with the water profile than a typical German or Czech pilsner?
I actually targeted the pale full water profile on Bru’n water. I’ll post a picture of the my water profile spreadsheet later today.

The reason for targeting this profile is because NZ should have touch more mouthfeel and a less assertive finish than a Czech or German pils

Where are people finding riwaka? I have never been able to find it since I first heard about it

Yakima valley hops is where I got mine but they are out until NZ Hops come in. Last year it was about this time
Excellent, I’m going to keep my eyes peeled and stock up when they get some!

Would that be their newsletter or is there something else?
It’s just one sign up. Go to their home page and scroll to the bottom. Fill in the info and you’ll start getting them. Also add their email to your contacts so it never goes to spam.
7FA9EDC1-9BA9-46C8-9B71-2660C4DAED7C.png

Back