What Is Your Carrry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing to carry yet. I still kind of want to get the CCW permit, but haven't put it on a priority yet. I doubt I will carry very often. My gun of choice will be determined by a bit of practice at the range to see which one feels best and shoots best. Probably a cheap piece of junk though. I'm cheap.

M&P .40. Have the set of M&Ps - 9mm, .40, .45 and even the .22 (which is actually made by Walther) I shoot USPSA comps with the 9mm and originally purchased the .22 for practice since all the frames are identical.

When I feel the need to carry, I carry my Beretta M9, but it's a little long.

Not a huge fan of smaller pistols, so I don't think I'll ever get something smaller. I do have the Ruger SR1911 in .45 ACP, but I rarely carry that... just love shooting it and it's always in my truck.

Mostly, I carry a Walther PPS 9mm. Nice little gun, but holy **** are the parts expensive. $60 for an extra mag so I didn't have to switch out self defense rounds when going to the range. When the guy told me that I thought he was joking and chuckled. He looked at me dead in the face and said "go ahead, try to find another one." I gave him $60 plus tax. I can't wait until I break an ejector or something.

When space is tight, I carry a .32 Seecamp. Another neat little gun, but not my favorite. I bought it on a whim, and regret that decision. It is ammo picky and requires frequent cleaning to remove lint and dirt from carrying. The only reason I keep it around is that I can carry when I am wearing a suit right in my pocket.

On another note, I have been thinking about buying a Kimber as a sometimes carry gun. I have been looking at the CDP or the Supper Carry. Anyone have any thoughts on these? I carried a Glock 21 for a number of years, and it was a great gun, but I wanted something with a better safety mechanism (and please, do not start a lecture on "if you need a safety you need to be more responsible" and so on. I am, and when not on me they go in the safe. This is a beer forum that I enjoy, and I would like to keep it that way).

If/when TX allows open carry I wonder how many questions these would get:

2qs2q9k.jpg

The Remington 1858 using 30 grns of 3F sporting grade powder with either my 170 or 195 grn bullet produces about 425 ft/lbs, and the Ruger Old Army using said bullets with 35 grns of powder is about 500 ft/lbs. They are .45 cal.

yes, CCL= conealed carrying license. IL was the last state to get CC (concealed carry) but their are other states worse off than us
-CALIFORNIA
-CONNECTICUT
-HAWAII
-MARYLAND
-MASSACHUSETTS
-NEW YORK

Hey, careful there, cowboy - we got CCLs in Connecticut!

I carry when I'm going out with my camera which means I'm usually off the beaten path in crappy areas of town. I carry a CZ 75B in 9mm. I've had that about 15 or so years but just got my CCW permit last year. It's matte stainless in a 1911 frame and really is too big/heavy to carry comfortably, at least with my CrossBreed IWB holster, or I'd carry all the time. I need to get something smaller (and drop 10 lbs) which would be much more comfortable.

I wouldn't mind a FNH Five seveN which is considerably lighter but another gun is WAY down the list of stuff I want (and can't afford).

On another note, I have been thinking about buying a Kimber as a sometimes carry gun. I have been looking at the CDP or the Supper Carry. Anyone have any thoughts on these? I carried a Glock 21 for a number of years, and it was a great gun, but I wanted something with a better safety mechanism (and please, do not start a lecture on "if you need a safety you need to be more responsible" and so on. I am, and when not on me they go in the safe. This is a beer forum that I enjoy, and I would like to keep it that way).

Sorry philipmeese, I was just saying IL being the last state to get CCW, doesn't mean we have the most restrictions. If you want an AR or AK with normal mags you can buy it.

I have a Glock 27 and a Kimber Ultra carry (same thing as a CDP). The kimber cost a lot more and the finish is easily rubbed off. It depends how hard you are on your carry pistol. For example, they say not to let the slide fall on a empty chamber, over and over, because it could damage the sear. This only a big deal if you're taking classes that do clearing MF, you don't want to spend a few hours smashing the slide around. And the officers size grips are large for me to carry, they hit the back of the chair or car seat when I sit down. But you can't go wrong with ether. Both great CCW's.

I have a Glock 27 and a Kimber Ultra carry (same thing as a CDP). The kimber cost a lot more and the finish is easily rubbed off. It depends how hard you are on your carry pistol. For example, they say not to let the slide fall on a empty chamber, over and over, because it could damage the sear. This only a big deal if you're taking classes that do clearing MF, you don't want to spend a few hours smashing the slide around. And the officers size grips are large for me to carry, they hit the back of the chair or car seat when I sit down. But you can't go wrong with ether. Both great CCW's.

Thanks for the reply. That is basically the choice, Glock 27 or 30 or a Kimber. If I went with the Kimber, I would opt for the full stainless slide, so I suppose that eliminates the Super Carry. Have you had any reliability issues (besides the common finish issues)? If you had to do it again, would you buy another Kimber or go with a different gun?

Thanks for the reply. That is basically the choice, Glock 27 or 30 or a Kimber. If I went with the Kimber, I would opt for the full stainless slide, so I suppose that eliminates the Super Carry. Have you had any reliability issues (besides the common finish issues)? If you had to do it again, would you buy another Kimber or go with a different gun?

I got the kimber about 10 years ago, when I used to cast and reload my own rounds, so I've put thousands of rounds through that little pistol. I would trust my life to it. IMHO (I'm tough on CCW's) I'd go with the Glock, it's not as pretty, has no external thumb safety. But from a pure utilitarian view it's the clear choice for me as a CCW. IMHO and I'm not a Glock fan boy. I'll see if I can post a picture.

I've seen a few mentions of open carry here, why would one even want to open carry? From a constitutional (or personal freedom) standpoint I could understand wanting the option, but from a practical/tactical standpoint I just don't get it. And I could see open carry becoming counter productive to us concealed carriers.

I've seen a few mentions of open carry here, why would one even want to open carry? From a constitutional (or personal freedom) standpoint I could understand wanting the option, but from a practical/tactical standpoint I just don't get it. And I could see open carry becoming counter productive to us concealed carriers.

It's a deterrent... depends on where you are, but if it's a pretty rough spot and open carry is allowed and it makes you feel better, why not?

That's why if I EVER open carry (I've done it once), I carry my Stainless Ruger GP100 .357 with 6" barrel. Looks intimidating.

Most criminals/thugs don't want the hassle of a confrontation. It may very well keep anything from happening in the first place keeping you from needing to do anything.

On the other hand, if it's going to happen regardless you've given away the fact that you are armed, but how many would truly decide it was worthwhile to take a chance?

Open carry is far more comfortable than concealed, and with concealed carry there's typically a stipulation that it must remain so, and so if it's accidentally exposed you are now in trouble. Less to worry about...

I don't mean to jack this thread, but what if this happens to you http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...-at-walmart-attacked-by-vigilante-for/2214432

Concealed means concealed, most people could care less about guns, unless you scare them like the people walking around with AR's on their back's. I would think "why does a guy have a AR in walmart?" What does this non LEO need that gun in here for? It's not like some guy hunting in a field walking back to his car. The NRA is telling these people to stop scaring the sheep, causing "NO GUNS" signs to pop up all over the place. Sorry OP don't mean to jack your thread. I wont say another word about it.

I always carry concealed, but the depth of concealment varies depending on where I am going. If I have to go to the southeast side I'm more worried about being able to draw as quickly as possible than having full concealment. I carry a SIG Pro 2340. SIG's first polymer framed handgun. Switch the barrel and it's 357 SIG instead of 40 S&W. It shoots great but is picky about ammo in 40 S&W.

I carry a Kahr CM9 in my car/on my person 90% of the time (work excluded). The other 10%, I might be seen with a Sig P226 in 9mm, but given the weight of that gun, I rarely carry it anymore. I need to get a holster for my Walther PPX, because while some people really dont like it, I LOVE it. I shoot amazing with it, and it is relatively light (especially compared to the P226).

Depends on what I'm wearing I guess.
S&W 637 Airweight
Walther PPS 9mm
Taurus 1911

I generally prefer my 1911, its just not always practical to carry.

I don't mean to jack this thread, but what if this happens to you http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...-at-walmart-attacked-by-vigilante-for/2214432

Concealed means concealed, most people could care less about guns, unless you scare them like the people walking around with AR's on their back's. I would think "why does a guy have a AR in walmart?" What does this non LEO need that gun in here for? It's not like some guy hunting in a field walking back to his car. The NRA is telling these people to stop scaring the sheep, causing "NO GUNS" signs to pop up all over the place. Sorry OP don't mean to jack your thread. I wont say another word about it.

No worries. In a way, I like how the article proves that people are not all vigilantes out to kill someone. The guy was taken down but he didnt return deadly force, though some may argue he would have been justified (being placed in a chokehold). On the other hand, the guy doing the tackling thought he was doing a good deed. Not everything is perfect.

As for people protesting with ARs walking down the street and in stores, I cant stand it. It does nothing for promoting the 2nd amendment in my opinion. I too would be weary if I turned the corner at Home Depot and some guy has an AK slung over his shoulder. ITS NOT THE NORM. Yes we all have the freedom to carry an AR in public if we want, but all you are going to do is scare the public and draw attention to you. I too would be on edge seeing that in public. Its not uncommon, on the other hand, to see an individual carry a pistol.

These YouTube videos of people getting stopped by police while walking down the street with their rifles and spouting off Supreme Court rulings kills me. My retort to them is this: You feel you shouldnt be stopped and questioned about your actions (walking down the street with an AR at port arms). But if a family member of yours happened to be killed and reports stated that some guy was walking in their area with a rifle slung over his shoulder but no passing cops cared to stop and ask his business, would you be singing a different tune. I know I would be

I don't always carry the extra 10rnd mags, I know I should, but it's heavy and it's too much stuff poking me at one time. That little subcompact will take all the glock mags in the picture. I like how the Kimber finish has worn down, like a carry pistol should look. Don't worry all the pistols in the picture are safe, both have a round in the pipe.

Glock 19 Gen 3. I know all the arguments 9mm not enough knock down power blah blah. I wouldn't want to get shot with a .22 let alone a 9mm. It's defense. I'll pull the trigger until the threat is stopped.

Glock 19 Gen 3. I know all the arguments 9mm not enough knock down power blah blah. I wouldn't want to get shot with a .22 let alone a 9mm. It's defense. I'll pull the trigger until the threat is stopped.

Nothing wrong with a 9mm. I completely agree. Granted I only have .40 and .45, it's only bc that's what my first two pistols were and I stocked up on ammo. Just makes one less round I have to purchase.

Well basically its the same as all other rights, if enough people don't exercise them eventually the government will take them away. Too much evidence to suggest otherwise. As far as it bothering other people to see it, your feelings dont trump my rights so get over it cupcake. Hell if your nice enough and open minded I may inspire you to make a life change. Just don't come at me with bullshiz.

Well basically its the same as all other rights, if enough people don't exercise them eventually the government will take them away. Too much evidence to suggest otherwise. As far as it bothering other people to see it, your feelings dont trump my rights so get over it cupcake. Hell if your nice enough and open minded I may inspire you to make a life change. Just don't come at me with bullshiz.

Who's cupcake? As I said, I understand from a personal freedom perspective to want the option, other then that it doesn't make much since, to me, tactically.

As far as scaring people, in Texas all a business has to do is put up a 30.06 sign and your not allowed to cc there, I'm sure a similar provision would be put in place for open carry. The problem I see is sheeple seeing open carry and getting nervous, complaining to stores, then the stores lawfully banning caring in their stores all together in an effort to appease these sheeple. Now, all of the sudden, I'm not allowed to cc to my favorite diner, or LHBS, etc, and since I personally won't go if I can't cc I'm s.o.l.

Well since I live in CT, we are now limited to 10 rounds max capacity. I used to carry my HK USP Custom Combat 9mm (A little too big for carry in the summer)
Here is my HK USP back when I had my little 9mm para Hawk
IMGA0016.jpg

Now I carry this bad boy.(Sorry I don't have a personal photo of it.
DSC00310_1_.jpg

Kahr CM9 most days for me. I can't carry at work, but it's size makes it no issue to handle in dress slacks with a tucked Polo immediately following, pocket carry in a sticky holster . Works well for Pocket, IWB, or OWB carry. My favorite method is OWB in a high riding paddle holster when in casual clothing or in my work attire with a jacket or vest added.

I'm not generally a fan of small guns, but have been very impressed with the accuracy of the CM9. My carry ammo is Hornady critical defense in 127 grain which is very manageable.

Every once and again I will carry my berretta 92FS. This usually lasts a day or to and I move back to the Kahr.

I only carry when I leave town.
Used to be a G22 but I've sold all my pistols. Now I just carry the S&W 686. Nothing says "back off" like a revolver, plus I shoot really well with it.

I only carry when I leave town.

Used to be a G22 but I've sold all my pistols. Now I just carry the S&W 686. Nothing says "back off" like a revolver, plus I shoot really well with it.

Love my revolver carry a s&w k frame .357 2.5 " snuby nice for the winter harder in summer

Tried a ruger lcp that thing not fun to shoot
What didn't you like about it? I was always curious about the trigger pull on them, and never able to test it out for myself.

Small frame (especially the compacts like the LCP, Shield, etc.) can be a surprise with the level of recoil, simply because the gun doesn't have the mass to absorb it before it slams into your hand. If you're not ready for that - especially if you're shooting a naturally snappy round like the .40S&W, it can be unpleasant.

Ruger LCP is surprisingly nice to shoot, trigger is kinda weird/mushy but better than i would have expected, but I am not a fan of the caliber or lack of sights, so mine is not in use any more and will be sold at some point (went back to the 3" ruger SP101 .357 mag that is my favorite).

Taurus TCP daily and if I think things might get a little wild and crazy , my Glock 27.

What didn't you like about it? I was always curious about the trigger pull on them, and never able to test it out for myself.

Small frame (especially the compacts like the LCP, Shield, etc.) can be a surprise with the level of recoil, simply because the gun doesn't have the mass to absorb it before it slams into your hand. If you're not ready for that - especially if you're shooting a naturally snappy round like the .40S&W, it can be unpleasant.

I love how concealable the lcp is but couldn't hit any thing at ten yards, bit into me good when shooting hot loads, but obviously it will, it does fit very comfortably in your hand and is a great summer concealer, I like my s&w better can get a great group with it but it's only really concealable in the winter

Wow holy run on sentence, shouldn't drink and write

Back