What is too cold for lager yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmusedBystander

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to lagering. Is 40 degrees too low? Also, will the beer take longer to carbonate when I finish it? Thanks for your help!

For fermentation, you want to stay around 45-50, depending upon the yeast chosen (check preferred temperature on the particular strain you are using). For lagering (different from fermentation), I like to lager around 33 - 35.

thank you; assuming you bottle and not keg... does carbonization take longer longer when the beer is cold than it does at room temp?

Yeah, there's no reason to store lager bottles at any lower temps than ales. All beers need to bottle condition around 50-65F ideally for a few weeks. If you go colder than that, you'll need to wait a few extra weeks probably. Also, did you lager the beer in a secondary fermentor for more than a few weeks? If so, you might need to add a extra week or three for the bottles to carb up, but they'll still carb just fine.

I do both. For lagers, I'll bottle them. Yes, carbonation does take longer when it is cold.

When I do a lager, I'll ferment around 45 or so like I said before until it is about 80% complete, as measured by a hydrometer. Then, I'll remove from the fridge and allow to warm to room temp for about 3-4 days for a diacetyl rest. Check gravity again to ensure it is done. When complete, rack and cool down to about 33 or so a degree or 2/day. Keep at that temp as long as you can. This is your lagering phase. After this, warm up to room temp and package.

Back