Quantcast

What is this??

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Surfman

Reaction score
so i attempted my 1st partial mash using the 2 gal water cooler method. This is my recipe, what would you guys classify it as? Im not too familiar with the differnet kinds of base malts yest since i have been doing mostly extract with steeping grains so i just picked a few pounds out and went with it.

1lb biscuit 19.3L
1lb briess 2 row pale 1.5L
1lb maris otter 3.0L
1lb munich 10L

mash 155F for 45 min, the sparge with 170F h2o

boil:
3lbs light dme

1oz fuggles 4% 60min
.5oz fuggles 4% 15min
.5oz fuggles 4% 5min

I used pacman yeast i harvested from a rouge brutal bitter.

og was 1.034- less than expected
i took a sample today and gravity was 1.008 and the sample tasted good but had a flavor i can only describe as kinda "toasty", is that from one of the types of malt?

anyway, let me kow what you guys think i should classify this as, maybe an ordinary bitter?

Brewin_Bob

Reaction score
NOTE: I'm a total brewing n00b!

From what I've been reading and from your ingredients, I'd say that the toasty flavor is from the biscuit malt.

from http://www.foamrangers.com/malts.html
--
Biscuit is a unique malt thats lightly roasted, lending the subtle properties of black and chocolate malts. Used at the rate of 3 to 15 %, it is designed to improve the bread & biscuits, or toasted flavor and aroma characteristics to Lagers and Ales.
--

OP
S

Surfman

Reaction score
thanks for that link, so would you guys say this is an ordinary bitter or just a random concoction?

TexLaw

Here's Lookin' Atcha!
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It sounds like an ordinary bitter to me. That toasty character comes from the biscuit and Munich malts and, to a far lesser extent, from the Marris Otter.

TL

OP
S

Surfman

Reaction score
i was shooting for 1.046 for my original gravity, was i short because i didnt let it sit long enough for the mash, would an hour have been better?