What is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjxl47

Reaction score
I brewed an experimental half-batch with a friend. We were brewing an extract Fat Tire clone and reused everything (specialty grains, hops) to make a small beer/experimental brew. We used some leftover DME and honey as fermentable sugar and thought we would see what happens if we used bread yeast. The initial brew went fine. We dry hopped with some leftover hops from a previous brew and when we opened the secondary to bottle we found this. Does anyone know what this is?? This beer is just a side project, so I'm not super concerned about how it turns out; I've just never seen this before. Thanks!

Almost looks like it's a pelical forming...but I could be wrong since I don't deal with those kinds of bugs.

i think it's possible to brew with baker's yeast, but it doesn't do as well as brewer's yeast in the presence of alcohol. that pic was taken at the end of fermentation when alcohol was very much present in the beer. so that can't be good. it's also possible what you see in that pic has nothing to do with the yeast but is an infection. hard to say. can't say i'd drink that to find out, though a lot of people here will say otherwise, i'm sure.

Almost looks like it's a pelical forming...but I could be wrong since I don't deal with those kinds of bugs.

I've never heard of pellicle before, so I looked it up. That may be what it was. I thought it odd that the beer had a Belgian Ale smell since it was a Fat Tire Clone. I actually joked with my friend that it would be funny if we accidentally created a Belgian Single...

I've made beer and cider with baker's yeast and never saw that. The cider's abv was about 6.5%, so unless you had a higher abv in your beer I'd doubt what you're seeing is alcohol induced.

Looks like bread yeast to me. Did you hydrate the yeast prior to pitching. I vote dead bread yeast.

Cheers

Just sprinkled it on top and then mixed it in. After the primary fermentation it looked fine. This only showed up after we dry-hopped. Does dead/sleeping bread yeast float or sink? There was a normal layer of trub at the bottom after primary.

Don't know then. I'd do like many have done and try a sample. If it tastes good rack from below the "infection" bottle and enjoy. You could add some Brett and make a sour beer?

Well. Now you have to taste it so we know if you made something awesome or if you die. Let us know. j/k-sorta.

Back