What is this thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I found this on ebay and bought it for the parts, but what do you think it was originally for?

parts.gif

An ectoplasmic super condenser.

Ghosts go in, the goo comes out.

Pretty nice collection of stainless. Is that a hollow cylinder?

Might make a nice hopback.

I am presuming it is a hollow cylinder, I don't know what is in it, for example does it have a defusion stone in there or something of the sort?

I thought I could put little animals in it and see how much pressure they could tolerate...:D

Actually, I can use the parts for all kinds of projects, but it would be cool to know what it was designed for.

Strange device. You can't get any continuous flow through that in it's current set-up. It looks like you charge it, reconfigure the valving and input, and then bleed the chamber.

mr x said:
Strange device. You can't get any continuous flow through that in it's current set-up. It looks like you charge it, reconfigure the valving and input, and then bleed the chamber.

I am assuming there is an inlet on the bottom of the cylinder.

Ryan_PA said:

I am too. It has a one way valve just after the left ball valve, a needle valve on top, another ball valve just past the gauge.

Somebody invested a little change to create whatever it is.

It's clearly a swedish, er, "recreation" assistance device. I see the vacuum gauge, but the pump seems to be missing.

Ryan_PA said:
Yes, there is, it goes into the ss tee. But you still won't get flow through the way it is now, you can only charge it and then reconfigure valving and de-pressurize. Maybe some kind of inpregnation device?

Brewpastor said:
I am too. It has a one way valve just after the left ball valve, a needle valve on top, another ball valve just past the gauge.

Somebody invested a little change to create whatever it is.

Why not ask the seller? Might be a good idea to at least know what was being put through it to know how best to go about cleaning it.

Brewpastor said:
I found this on ebay and bought it for the parts, but what do you think it was originally for?

parts.gif
It looks like some form of testing or calibration device to me.

Like I know what I'm talking about... :drunk:

GilaMinumBeer said:
Why not ask the seller? Might be a good idea to at least know what was being put through it to know how best to go about cleaning it.

The seller has no idea. He bought it in a lot of items.

It's a low pressure testing chamber. The top & bottom of the cylinder should disconnect by removing the clamps. Should make a good randell for small parties.

david_42 said:
It's a low pressure testing chamber. The top & bottom of the cylinder should disconnect by removing the clamps. Should make a good randell for small parties.

What would be tested in it?

I feel silly for saying this to you, your a smart dude, but I'd be a bit carefull what you use this for until you figure out what it WAS used for. It might have been a tester for bad chemicals or something. Disregaurd this post if I'm out of line.:ban:
But ON a high note +1 for buying it because it looks pretty cool.:mug:

tentacles said:
It's clearly a swedish, er, "recreation" assistance device. I see the vacuum gauge, but the pump seems to be missing.

Thats not mine baby....... Yea Baby....(austin powers) :D

May I ask what you searched on Ebay to even come up with that? Consider you nor the seller know what it is, it seems to me the search terms would have been quite vague... "shiny gizmo"?

mrfocus said:
May I ask what you searched on Ebay to even come up with that? Consider you nor the seller know what it is, it seems to me the search terms would have been quite vague... "shiny gizmo"?
10:1 says "stainless steel"

tentacles said:

i swear that's not mine someone's playing a trick on me. this sort of thing isn't my bag baby.

mrfocus said:

It came up in a search related to tri-clover fittings. I may have found it under "sanitary fitting" or in the store of someone who had some tri-clover fittings listed. It was a buy now purchase.

As for past, questionable uses, that is the nice thing about stainless, it cleans up real purdy. I will replace all the gaskets, and give it a nice caustic wash.

Back