What is this stuff?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unusmundus

Reaction score
Alright, I'm sure there have been a million posts similar to this one, but can someone tell me what in the HELL this black stuff floating on the top of my wort is? This is my first IPA, and I dry hopped (also for the first time) with about 145 grams of Cascades. It spent 4 (or maybe it was a full 5?) days in primary, and has been in secondary for 7 days now. I've never seen anything like this. Any ideas?:confused:

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

That's hops, looks tasty!
:mug:

So this is normal? This really is my first 'hop-forward' brew, never seen anything like this in my more malty brews or ciders. And yeah, I'm looking forward to it, used over half a pound of mixed hops in my boil, and another 145 grams added dry to my secondary. Pretty proud of it, can't wait to taste, wish I could share one with you all ! Thanks a lot for the input.

-Cheers

I don't see any black stuff either, just floating hops.

Let me run down stairs and take another look, looked pretty damn black to me. As I said this is my first time dry-hopping, so maybe I just don't know what the hops look like after they have taken to the wort

That's hops, looks tasty!
(I'm not seeing black stuff...)

HAHA, well I am officially an idiot. :drunk: Being the colorblind fool I am, in that lighting the small gaps/breaks in the wort between the floating hops looked like something dark and solid floating among the hops, hahaha. So sorry for wasting your time, cheers guys !

HAHA, well I am officially an idiot. :drunk: Being the colorblind fool I am, in that lighting the small gaps/breaks in the wort between the floating hops looked like something dark and solid floating among the hops, hahaha. So sorry for wasting your time, cheers guys !

You didn't waste my time! And if you think your question was dumb, then you haven't seen some of the questions I've posted here! Ha ha.

Back