what is this stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivot

Reaction score
my LHBS sells stuff called High malt Glucose, and I cant really find stuff on it here. It is significantly cheaper than LME, but I dont know it is a substitute for LME. can someone help clarify what and when exactly this stuff is used?

Don't know for sure, but a google search leads me to guess that is mostly glucose, but with some residual maltose because it's made by industrial-scale mashing. Almost certainly not a perfect sub for LME, or more cheap people would be using it. Probably you should use it like corn sugar for priming or in a Belgian.

In this thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/high-malt-glucose-starter-87861/
someone made a starter from it. But it's probably too low in nitrogen for happy yeast replication.

Oh, higher-gravity Belgian beers typically have a rather high amount of simple sugars added to keep the beer light-bodied for how strong it is. The estery cidery/winey flaws you would get with too much sugar using other yeasts are actually good with all the complexity from Belgian yeasts.

Haha oh awesome! this is actually what I had been thinking about using it for.

so in a belgian recipe using about 10# of extract, could I substitute like 2 of those pounds for High Malt glucose, or more or less?

That is correct, it is a cheap abv boost.. Just don't over do it, 2lbs is fine.

Probably not much of an alcohol boost if he is replacing 2lbs of the malt extract with this stuff. Pound for pound, I'm guessing the glucose stuff has a similar amount of fermentables to the malt extract.

If he wanted an ABV boost, he'd want to add it to the 10lbs of malt extract.

Im not looking for an abv boost im looking to displace a little ectract to help reduce the recipe cost a little.

Well, if you are looking to do that, why not corn and/or table sugar? This stuff might be cheaper than malt extract, but probably isn't cheaper than corn/table sugar...

It is intended to be an intermediary fermentable between dextrose and standard malt extract. Useful when you are making a lighter beer, or you want to a drier beer or one with less body.

That's what I figured - like extra-well mashed starch - mostly glucose and maltose, but not much unfermentables. So I wouldn't sub it for DME/LME unless you are trying to lighten the body, like instead of candi sugar or table sugar in a strong Belgian. Or priming sugar.
Pivot, if you are looking to use up what you have already, look in the recipe section for light-colored strong Belgian recipes, like Blonde, Tripel, Belgian Strong Golden, or Tripel IPA.

Latest posts

Back