What is this stuff on top of my mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil74501

Reaction score
Do I have an infection? I've star san'd the heck out of everything. I did add some lemons to it when I racked to a secondary. (fresh peeled frozen and star san'd) This is a second racking, trying to clear it up as much as possible. I thought maybe it was left overs from the lemons.

Img_0726.jpg

Do I have an infection? I've star san'd the heck out of everything. I did add some lemons to it when I racked to a secondary. (fresh peeled frozen and star san'd) This is a second racking, trying to clear it up as much as possible. I thought maybe it was left overs from the lemons.

I can't tell from the picture- but you do have WAY too much headspace which often does lead to infection as well as issues with oxidation. Mead is not as readily oxidized as other wines, but it is still susceptible.

The mead should be racked to a smaller carboy, so that the liquid comes up to the very narrowest part of the carboy, like in the ciders/wines/meads in this picture (except for the one in the back, where samples were just taken so there is too much headspace):

apple_wines.JPG

have you used any sulfites/campden?

I can't tell from the picture- but you do have WAY too much headspace which often does lead to infection as well as issues with oxidation. Mead is not as readily oxidized as other wines, but it is still susceptible.

The mead should be racked to a smaller carboy, so that the liquid comes up to the very narrowest part of the carboy, like in the ciders/wines/meads in this picture (except for the one in the back, where samples were just taken so there is too much headspace):

View attachment 273479

have you used any sulfites/campden?

No on the sulfites/campden. And I don't have a smaller carboy.

No on the sulfites/campden. And I don't have a smaller carboy.

Well, for next time I'd make a bigger batch but for this time if it's infected there isn't much you can do. You can add campden, but usually you add the campden and rack to a new (appropriately sized) carboy. I don't have any advice except for that, sorry. :(

Well, for next time I'd make a bigger batch but for this time if it's infected there isn't much you can do. You can add campden, but usually you add the campden and rack to a new (appropriately sized) carboy. I don't have any advice except for that, sorry. :(

I used bottled spring water, that was boiled before the honey was added. That's why I didn't do any campden. It looked fine after the first racking. It was when I racked it a second time that I added lemons to it. If it is infected, is it still drinkable? Should I just bottle it?

Get some marbles from the dollar store and sanitize/sterilize them. Then put as many in as needed to fill up the volume for proper head space. Idea from The Complet Meadmaker.

Back