What is this stuff at the bottom of my fermenter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fender230

Reaction score
I am doing my 2nd batch and just transfered to a carboy for clearing and such. There was about a half gallon of what looked like dog poop. I think it is normal as the beer smells fantastic. It was just concerning that there was so much of it. My first batch didn't have nearly as much goop at the bottom.

I used White Labs British Ale Yeast WLP005. Which bottom ferments (discussion on this earlier this week).

Just trying to find out if this is normal.

That is yeast and trub. The yeast you used is top-fermenting. If it weren't it'd be lager yeast. The "dog poop" is totally normal...:mug:

Well yes "dog poop" is ok for the laymen but it originates from the latin term "canis defecation" and is in fact perfectly acceptable to the brewing process. :fro:

hey Soulive nice picture. My band opened up for Bobby Previte's thing last year with Charlie Hunter and Skerik. Charlie played a Telecaster and is probably one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

White Labs WLP005 is a bottom fermenting yeast according to their website. It is rare for an ale yeast but it is true.

Thanks for all the responses I new that the trub and yeast we supposed to be there but it was just so much more than I had in my last batch. Happy brewing.

Fender230 said:
hey Soulive nice picture. My band opened up for Bobby Previte's thing last year with Charlie Hunter and Skerik. Charlie played a Telecaster and is probably one of the nicest guys I have ever met.

White Labs WLP005 is a bottom fermenting yeast according to their website. It is rare for an ale yeast but it is true.

Thanks for all the responses I new that the trub and yeast we supposed to be there but it was just so much more than I had in my last batch. Happy brewing.

Thanks man. I talk to Charlie at every show I see and he is very cool, especially considering his massive talent. Bottom line on the fermenter - don't worry about it. Cheers...

So, when i have another batch ready to go into the fermenter, do i just straight pour it on to this layer of dog doodies? What about after the beer is on it and i pitch my yeast and i am going to aerate the wort? Do i need to make sure that i get all of the dog doodies stirred up?

I love your spirit but do you have to refer to your yeast as dog doodies? :p
No need to pitch more yeast. There is more than enough in there already.
Just pour your new wort on top of the current yeast cake and give that fermenter a really good shake up (aerating). Everything will get mixed up and your yeast will jump into action, ferment your beer, and start reforming into new dog doodies very soon.

Yea i know its not dog doodies. After i bottled my first batch i was cleaning everything up and reached in and and wanted to see the consistancy of the trub. My first thought was that warm, soft-serve type dog crap. After i squished it in my hand for a while, i smelled my bucket, and i instantly thought, 'vomit.' Pretty nasty stuff on the bottom of that bucket, but hey, i love it because all those little yeasts are the reason we have one of the greastest beverages on earth. Its kind of like watching a woman give birth, its pretty gross to watch but babies sure are cute.

Redskins838892 said:
So, when i have another batch ready to go into the fermenter, do i just straight pour it on to this layer of dog doodies? What about after the beer is on it and i pitch my yeast and i am going to aerate the wort? Do i need to make sure that i get all of the dog doodies stirred up?

That is assuming you are making another batch of beer that day. You don't want to let the "dog poo" sit around for a week or so then put more wort on it... thats a bad plan.

I pretty much always reuse the yeast from a batch of beer to make a cheap cider for the masses to drink instead of my good beer (what can I say, I'm selfish and my friends have no taste).

I let mine sit for weeks! What's thr trouble? It is no different than sitting in secondary for a month. Oh well, it has never caused problems for me.

BTW "What is this wierd stuff in my fermenter"...however you word it, 99 times out of 100, the answer is dog doo.........I mean yeast.

Redskins838892 said:
Yea i know its not dog doodies. After i bottled my first batch i was cleaning everything up and reached in and and wanted to see the consistancy of the trub. My first thought was that warm, soft-serve type dog crap. After i squished it in my hand for a while, i smelled my bucket, and i instantly thought, 'vomit.' Pretty nasty stuff on the bottom of that bucket, but hey, i love it because all those little yeasts are the reason we have one of the greastest beverages on earth. Its kind of like watching a woman give birth, its pretty gross to watch but babies sure are cute.

Boy, howdy! You're just full of pleasant, soothing images, aren't you? :D

TL

Just decided to pop into this thread and I have to say; this is one of the strangest threads I've read in a while. :D

It's not often you see discussion of beer, dog poop (and the consistency thereof) and childbirth within a few posts of each other.

PROSTED! :mug:

bradsul said:
Just decided to pop into this thread and I have to say; this is one of the strangest threads I've read in a while. :D

It's not often you see discussion of beer, dog poop (and the consistency thereof) and childbirth within a few posts of each other.

PROSTED! :mug:

I have to agree. I haven`t laugh so much in a long time:D

thanks

later

I guess I opened up a strange can of worms starting this thread. I was surprised to see that it was still open after being away from my computer for a couple of days.

It really does look and feel like dog poop. I wish I didn't throw it away. How do I go about saving it? Throw it into a jar or baggie and pop it into the refrigerator?

Back