What is this.. should i buy it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
CL post says" Antique vintage beer tapper, looks like an aluminum cooler with a beer tap attached to the side of it. Good shape for the age. "

Here are the pics...

DSCF00471.JPG

DSCF00491.JPG

DSCF00551.JPG

DSCF0056.JPG

Is this anything like a jocky box? thanks for any ideas what this is.. he is holding it for me until i decide...

he wants 15 bucks

Looks very much like an old school jockey box. Probably ice and some sort of chiller inside. For 15 bucks I'd snag it.

Definitely an old jockey box. There should be a cooling coil or plate inside. Definitely worth $15.

+1 snag it. For nothing else than a conversation piece. Looks kinda cool anyway.

SD

Ok, got it last night.. found some surprises in the thing..

Picture_0015.jpg

Looks like an old bud tap handle, and a oolld style keg coupler..

Picture_0026.jpg

There it is.. the coil.. freakin awesome..

Picture_0045.jpg

these couplers are on either end..

so, what should i soak all these pieces in, and should i get a new cooler? this thing is cool looking, but kinda gross.. i guess it wouldnt be too bad to clean it up...

whatcha guys think?

If you have access to sodium hydroxide I would run that through. If not I think BLC is close if not the same thing. Then some acid sanitizer and you should be good to go.

so what, some oxyclean and some barkeepers for the exterior.. and some pbw and blc on the inside of the coil?

Back