What is this plant? hops maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksailj

Reaction score
I was walking in the woods and came across these bines that look exactly like hops. The leaf structure, the sticky/prickly like stem, color, all look the same as my hops growing at home. I checked the bine where the cones would be and saw a small seed pod (shown in picture) that crumbles when you touch it. Not a single cone on the plant throughout my 2 mile hike. Does anyone have an idea what type of plant this would be? At first I got my hopes up because it covers about 1 square mile but after looking closely I don't think they are hops of any variety or even a male plant. I just don't know. Thanks folks.

ForumRunner_20120812_202833.jpg

ForumRunner_20120812_202756.jpg

ForumRunner_20120812_202641.jpg

Where are you from? I saw a bunch of similar plants today in Wissahickon Park in Philadelphia today and was thinking the same thing.

looks to me like Japanese Hops, Unfortunatley they can not be used in beer making :(

I live in West Deptford NJ, but these where in the town of National Park NJ along the river. There is a place called the Dredge that is about 1 square mile shaped live a bowl that government puts the dirt when they dredge the river for the oil ships each year. It turns into a marsh land for wildlife and these plants are all through out it. I'll look into the Japanese hops. It's ashame you can't use them, that would have been a great find. Thanks

Yup that's what it looks like, Japanese Hops. Man what a tease.Endless field of uselessness.

Back