What is this in my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
It looks like yeast. It seems to taste fine. I tasted it twice. First time was near the bottom of the primary and tasted pretty gross. 2nd taste was at the end of the bottling bucket. And it seemed to taste like my other Hefe did prior to bottling. It is a Bavarian Hefe . 6 lbs LME and 1lb of Bavarian DME. I cannot recall the wyeast strain. After transfering to my bottling bucket this seemed to kind of settle at the bottom of the primary and or mix in with it. I am not worried, I sanitize the same time every time, and am not really concerned with infection. . . but was wondering if anyone can tell me what this is?

infection.jpg

Edit: This is almost 2 weeks after fermentation and was fermenting at 70-72 degrees the whole time (recommended by the yeast)

+2

Hefe yeast is usually a top fermenting yeast, I see that in most of my Hefeweizens when I bother to look in the fermenter.

It might be a good decision to split up the beer and ship half to me as well, I'd like to give a second opinion.

No deal. It has been bottled and from what I have learned... never toss a potentiall bad batch. Let it ride baby!
I was just curious as to what it was. I have not seen yeast form like that in the previous 5 batches I have done so I figured I would ask the all knowing beer board.

Thanks guys!!

Back