What is this funky stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newdamage1

Reaction score
I looked through the "infection" threads like a paranoid noob should, but I didn't see anything that looked like this. It smells fine, but I couldn't muster the courage to try any. :fro:

So without saying it, what is this?

wZAZK.jpg

What is this brew that you made? A sour or lambic of some sort?

Long legs means more room for beer!

You would need a more detailed pic to really tell,but it seems just like normal krausen.If its not even been a few weeks then to me it seems very unlikely that an infection would even start that early.

Looks like beer. Take a gravity reading and the inevitable taste test, and you'll realize all is well.

This is a Red Hook Clone using Fermentis S-04, and its been in the carboy for 22days. its been a little wild on temps after the first week. The pic is through the neck of the carboy, ill try and get a better one tomorrow when its light out.

I took a reading tonight, its at 1.014. which is where it should be. I did muster up to taste it (from a spot without the floaties) it was green as can be, but good.

So yea, it's Beer. :p Thanks guys.

Back