What is this floating on my fermentor????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marianomanto

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I cooked a Double IPA a couple of weeks ago and moved it to a secondary fermentor. Two weeks later I find this floating on it...
Is my beer ruined?:(

Thanks a lot!

WhatsApp Image 2017-04-22 at 1.25.38 PM.jpeg

Looks like the remains of a krauzen, which more than likely means that you racked to secondary before fermentation was complete and it started up again in secondary. Or you had a stalled fermentation and didn't know it, and it restarted in secondary and fell, leaving yeast rafts and krausen curdles.

Did you go gravity readings before racking it?

Hello everyone, I cooked a Double IPA a couple of weeks ago and moved it to a secondary fermentor. Two weeks later I find this floating on it...
Is my beer ruined?:(

Thanks a lot!
have you smelled the beer for odors to help identify the stuff?
pictures can be worth 1000 words but more info is needed to identify what it is

Thank you for your replies. :) I put some extra hops since I want to do dry hopping. Then I put the fermentor in the fridge...
Looks like the remains of a krauzen, which more than likely means that you racked to secondary before fermentation was complete and it started up again in secondary. Or you had a stalled fermentation and didn't know it, and it restarted in secondary and fell, leaving yeast rafts and krausen curdles.

I dont do gravity readings because I try to avoid touching the beer much during fermentation, to avoid contamination. However, I can see in the bottom of the secondary a little cake of yeast.
Smell was allright.

I am worried it might be this kind of infection...:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=587378&highlight=brettanomyces+infection

I agree with this.

It looks like a normal fermentation late in primary after most of, but not all of the krausen has fallen. Yeast rafts, proteins, and other debris.

Wait a little longer or rack out from under it if you have final gravity.

So hard not to click on threads like this, haha.

Agree with what most people have said though, looks like it's probably just yeast floaties. Get used to seeing them, too. :)

There's a thread in this forum for infected batches. I'd recommend browsing through there for a bit just to get an idea of what infections could look like.

I think it looks like could be the beginnings of a pericle type infection? If so, the top will continue to develop until it gets a solid off-white ropey/ropie? type cover!

Time will tell and hope for the best. I've had a couple - one from fruitflies. Good Luck, KY Dan

Back