What is this called?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PurpleJeepXJ

Ah... Leafy Goodness
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was thinking that i can start a siphon by using compresses air like CO2. My idea is a dip tube to within .5" of the bottom of a carboy up through a bung and to a siphon hose. then have a second hole in the bung with a tube just into the headspace to which i can hook my CO2 line off my reg to. Add pressure until liquid begins to flow out of the siphon hose. Then remove the CO2 and allow the siphon to draw. I know this has been done and must be common practice but what the heck is it called? It is really hard to research something without a name...

modified carboy cap?

carboycap__74587_zoom.jpg

closedsystem.png

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/carboy-cap-3-5-and-6-gallon-carboys.html

Or you could just go with the easy-siphon, used one for the first time last week, for $9.95, a real step saver. I've done the C02 pressure transfer,PITA, plus moves the wort fast creating more aeration.

Pressurizing a carboy might not be the most recommended of methods. If something gets stuck or clogged and you're now filling a glass (or even plastic) carboy with pressure, you're inviting a major issue and possible danger. The sterile siphon starter is what I use on every transfer when working with carboys, and is very easy and essentially the same thing.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/18872//Sterile_Siphon_Starter_-_For_3_5_and_6_Gallon_Carboys

You blow through a 99.99% air filter, so contamination isn't an issue. After 2 seconds of forcing the fermented wort up the cane, the siphon takes over and you're good to go! Let me know if you have any questions regarding this setup.

Cheers!

Yeah, but it will never give you problems, crack, lose siphon, etc. I definitely used to use the easy-siphon, but had issues with it not holding the siphon sometimes. I also stepped on it once and cracked it right before I was going to siphon, so maybe that stuck with me ;) - The easy siphon is pretty useful when working with plastic buckets without spigots however! But yes, you do make a good point regarding the price, just wanted to list more options!

Cheers all!

And Matt, I think your company is great! I met your people at the Riverside store back in February, everyone friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. I split my time between Oregon and Calif. so I will seeing your Riverside people again in the Fall. In the mean time I hope your career with the company continues, and glad your here too :mug:

I've had 2 auto-siphons, and hated both of them. I'd end up losing siphon quite often. I'd been doing it long enough that I don't think it was user error either.

Perhaps... seems a lot simpler than involving compressed air or CO2 and a pump, seals, etc.

If the autosiphon leaks, pour a little sanitized water on top of the tube. Voila.

I've had 2 auto-siphons, and hated both of them. I'd end up losing siphon quite often. I'd been doing it long enough that I don't think it was user error either.

I have used my autosiphon for a year, 25 batches and draining my Better Bottles etc. and have never lost my siphon if I don't let the liquid level drop below the end of the siphon.

It is easily one of the best pieces of my equipment! :ban:

easy-siphon, auto siphon same thing different manufacturer.

Nit picking, but I was reading the thread so WTH right? Same thing, different distributer. I am sure they are made at the same place.

I have noticed that if you don't have a nice, tight fit of tubing to racking cane you can lose siphon. I use an o ring on my tubing that makes the fit not leak, good siphon each time every time. you could use a hose clamp, rubber bands, what ever. I had o rings just smaller than the tubing, work great. And yes the Auto-siphon, and easy-siphon are probably made by the same manufacturer, different distributors. Both work, are cheaper, and easier than forced C02 transfer. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Thanks for all the replies. Good to know that it is called a pressure transfer. To be honest, I absolutely hate the auto-siphon. It is a pain to clean it thoroughly. It works by you pumping it, two plastic parts rubbing together with a cheap o-ring sorta thing which after multiple uses will cause scratches in the outer tube which WILL harbor bacteria no mater how much you clean it. Now if they made a stainless steel one I would buy it in a heartbeat...

Thanks for all the replies. Good to know that it is called a pressure transfer. To be honest, I absolutely hate the auto-siphon. It is a pain to clean it thoroughly. It works by you pumping it, two plastic parts rubbing together with a cheap o-ring sorta thing which after multiple uses will cause scratches in the outer tube which WILL harbor bacteria no mater how much you clean it. Now if they made a stainless steel one I would buy it in a heartbeat...

or maybe not, i use the same siphon for wild yeast beer as i do for clean yeast and have not had a cross contamination. in fact i use all of the same scratched up plastic equipment for all of my sour and clean beer. having said that, i'm with you on the stainless auto siphon, i would buy one just for the long term durability.

Plenty of threads on here about the idea, but to my knowledge there isn't any made yet.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/stainless-steel-auto-siphon-103849/

FWIW. I have a SS racking cane and I love it. I also use silicon tubing now. I can use a pressure cooker on the tubing and sterilize it if I am filling the need. and the silicon is easier to work with than vinyl.

This MAY help you, I will direct you to my post #28 here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/i-hate-siphoning-325366/index3.html
If you know about this this no harm done. I have direct people to this post before...

As for the using it on hot wort, no problem just set the cane + silicon tubing up and sanitize a turkey baster. Compress the bulb then stick it on the "out" end of the tube. easy peazy.

Back