What is the white stuff growing in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pherball

Reaction score
I have a batch which has been conditioning in a carboy which i racked from my primary about a week and a half ago. I noticed a couple of days ago that something was forming on the surface of the beer. At first it looked like islands of tiny white bubbles, like very small soap bubbles. Now it looks a little denser, more like trub floating on top. There isn't very much of it, it isn't covering the whole surface by any means. This is the first time anything like this has happened.

For what it might be worth, this batch was a repitch onto a once used yeast cake: at the time i racked a batch off the yeast and pitched the new wort almost immediately afterwards.

Also the smell is worrying me: it smells similar to a batch of beer that i left sitting for over a year and that had gone bad with time. I'm not sure how to describe it, other than that it doesn't smell how beer should smell.

I get that occasionally. It's like a thin little pellicle. I've never had one on top of a bad beer. Sample it and if it tastes good, you're fine.

The stuff looks a lot like trub floating on top, it is white with a creamy looking texture. It first appeared as tiny white bubbles. The color is uniform and basically a cream color.

It is hard to describe the smell, i would say it is sourish, but very faint; again it smells like a beer i dumped a while back which had sat in a primary carboy for over a year.

what are yeast colonies?

Have somewhat the same problem as above. There is a spider webby, white wrinkly skin, over my beer.
Now, its been four months since primary then 3 weeks after: secondary and 2 months ago I bottled half the carboy. I smelled it and it smells like beer.

Help:.........I dont know.....could it still be bottled and drank? WELL...... What i mean is.... is it safe?

The stuff looks a lot like trub floating on top, it is white with a creamy looking texture. It first appeared as tiny white bubbles. The color is uniform and basically a cream color.

It is hard to describe the smell, i would say it is sourish, but very faint; again it smells like a beer i dumped a while back which had sat in a primary carboy for over a year.

what are yeast colonies?

sounds like yeast rafts floating on top, but without a picture, it's really hard to say for sure.

to the guy with the slimy spiderweb floating on his beer, that sounds like an infection, but again, without a picture it's very hard to say for sure.

sounds like yeast rafts floating on top, but without a picture, it's really hard to say for sure.

to the guy with the slimy spiderweb floating on his beer, that sounds like an infection, but again, without a picture it's very hard to say for sure.

You have been necroed bro... You want the post above mine... this one:
Have somewhat the same problem as above. There is a spider webby, white wrinkly skin, over my beer.
Now, its been four months since primary then 3 weeks after: secondary and 2 months ago I bottled half the carboy. I smelled it and it smells like beer.

Help:.........I dont know.....could it still be bottled and drank? WELL...... What i mean is.... is it safe?

You have been necroed bro... You want the post above mine... this one:

:confused: i'm a zombie? :ban: did my post show the wrong quote?

this was the guy with the spider web i was referring to. kinda ironic how his name's ciderspider and the OP's is Pherball.

It would seem Christmas has brought on a kind of Night of the Living Dead theme. At least they're using the search function/looking at the similar threads at the bottom.

Back