What is the white fluffy stuff making volcanos in my cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaginger

Reaction score
Please take a look at the video in the link below:

Click for video

This is a cider I started 2 days ago. It's 3 gallons of pasteurized AJ with 2 cups of light DME, yeast nutrient, a tiny bit of tannin, and safeale-04 yeast.

After just a couple days I saw this very significant white cottony layer at the bottom of the bottle, and it jumps around and erupts like a volcano as you can see in the video.

Is there something wrong with my cider...it looks really weird!

Thanks,
Jason

OK, it was just so fast and crazy looking...white cottony puffs jumping 6-8 inches off the floor of the carboy freaked me out a little. Thanks.

OK, it was just so fast and crazy looking...white cottony puffs jumping 6-8 inches off the floor of the carboy freaked me out a little. Thanks.

your cider is ruined!! what you need to do is wait another 1.5 months - then bottle the batch and ship it fed ex priority overnight to:

oral analysis center
2695A Kauhale street Kihei, Hawaii 96753

here at our prestegious labs, only the finest beverage professionals will process your "tainted" beverage into high grade urine.

:D

p.s. what you are seeing is yeast colonies (the white cottony stuff) getting pulled off the yeast cake, and floated up by Co2 bubbles, the bubbles then pop, and the the sheared off chunk of yeast heads back down to the bottom.

I am experiencing the very same scary phenomenon in my first ever batch of super cider. It's relieving to hear that nothing's wrong with my baby. But when I start bottling this thing in four days, should I at all cost avoid getting the white stuff into my bottles?

do you have a hydrometer by chance? i would be concerned that it is still fermenting and will explode your bottles.

Concur, cider usually takes weeks to finish fermenting not days. After you stop seeing any movement in your fermenter take hydro samples every day. When you get the same reading at least two days in a row, you're ready to bottle.

I agree with the others in this thread that say you should NOT bottle if it is still actively fermenting. Wait about 3 weeks and start checking gravity.

Back