What is the purpose of a shorter boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I watched a video on Youtube today and they were making a NEIPA and only did a 30 minute boil. I'm used to 60 and 90 minute boils. What is the purpose of the shorter boil?

I agree with Chickypad. I've done a few shorter boils where I don't have any 60 min hop additions. Beer tasted great.

Short boils achieve two things.
The wort gets sanitized quickly and hop IBUs are set at a specific level without a lot of aromatic loss you might get with a longer boil. Makes sense to me.

I watched a video on Youtube today and they were making a NEIPA and only did a 30 minute boil. I'm used to 60 and 90 minute boils. What is the purpose of the shorter boil?

We do less vigorous boils on our NEIPA at work...reduce colandria to 75%. It is primarily to reduce break material and keep more haze material going into the whirlpool. We don't use kettle hops so IBU's in the kettle are a non-issue.

I guess the real question is what is the purpose of a long boil - for increased bittering, to boil down volume/concentrate the wort, to boil off DMS. If you don't need the extra boil to achieve those things for the beer you are brewing then you can go shorter.

Haha my thoughts exactly. I came to put my input, but this was what I would have wrote.

Agree with Helibrewer. I can relate it to my hefeweizens. Gentle and not so long boil to not coagulate to much of the head and body-positive proteins.

Good points. I've been doing 60-90 minute boils for all of my beers and my efficiency has skyrocketed to the point I'm having to figure out how to get less ABV. Going to try a shorter boil for my next NEIPA which better be soon, because now I'm craving one.

Good points. I've been doing 60-90 minute boils for all of my beers and my efficiency has skyrocketed to the point I'm having to figure out how to get less ABV. Going to try a shorter boil for my next NEIPA which better be soon, because now I'm craving one.

Your efficiency have skyrocketed due to boil times?

Sounds like everyone is comfortable doing shorter boils. I'm still doing 60 minute boils. I brew indoors and steam is the only issue I have so cutting back the boil would help.

Three questions:
Whats considered acceptable short time? (assuming no 60 min hop addition)

Is DMS a things of the past with better more modern grain?

What about hotbreak, trub, proteins, crud . Is ALL that created immediately after hotbreak? Is nothing happening during the boil period?

Sounds like everyone is comfortable doing shorter boils. I'm still doing 60 minute boils. I brew indoors and steam is the only issue I have so cutting back the boil would help.

Three questions:
Whats considered acceptable short time? (assuming no 60 min hop addition)

Is DMS a things of the past with better more modern grain?

What about hotbreak, trub, proteins, crud . Is ALL that created immediately after hotbreak? Is nothing happening during the boil period?

Longer (and vigorous) boil coagulates more proteins. It's not created immediately after the onset of boil. The longer you boil the more proteins will coagulate. About DMS it's about half-time. Even with modern malts you will get DMS if you don't do it "properly". It's dependen on which malt you use and how long you boil

Your efficiency have skyrocketed due to boil times?

No, just by dialling in my mash volume and temperature not to mention improved processes. Sorry if post was misleading. It's Sunday morning, I have nothing much to do today, and there's beer in the fridge.

Agree with Helibrewer. I can relate it to my hefeweizens. Gentle and not so long boil to not coagulate to much of the head and body-positive proteins.

Very true!
A good hot AND cold break is something you'd want for a clarified beer, though I have had some seriously persistent and thick foam with hopped higher gravity ales. I made a 6%-ish ABV amber bock with extra hops and the suds it produced was akin to some of the commercial beers I like with the same attribute.

Back