What is the most versatile hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berwick12

Reaction score
I'm looking to get into growing hops this year and I want to grow a versatile hop variety. One that I can use for bittering, aroma and finishing, and one that can also be used in many different types of beer. What do you think is the most versatile?

It really depends on what kind of beer you made the most. I make mostly American APAs and IPAs, so I grow cascades. I also grow halletauer, but haven't used them yet!

If you make English type ales, you may want to grow a fuggles cultivar or a type of Goldings, for example.

Centennial-dual purpose hop-has high alpha, and is excellent in flavor, aroma and dry hop use.

Depends on the beer you make. I grow Cascades, because I like that American Ale flavor, and they are the hardiest out there.

I you like English beers, you might try EKG. Hallertau for German, etc. It would pay to do some research on which hops are common to which style of beer, or even investigate which hops are in which particular beer.

You don't way where you live. There are plenty of hops varieties that don't do well in large parts of the US.

Back