What is the largest batch of mead you've made?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dayveea

Reaction score
Hi guys I've just recently signed up but I've been following this forum for quite awhile now! :) Hallo! so as the title suggests, I'm curious as to what is the largest batch of mead that you've made? :) What were your struggles? and was it worth it? :):ban::tank::rockin:

3 gallons. Seriously, who needs more than15 bottles of a single batch? Then again, I don't age in secondary for months and months/years.

Just slightly over 5 gallons. I still have about 14 bottles of it left and it's aged for over a full year. It keeps improving in flavor as it gets older, so if you like mead, I'd say it's definitely worth it. I bottled it at about 6-7 months of age, and I've been sampling 1 bottle every month since then. Pretty drastic how much the flavor has changed.

None yet. I have so many beers and wines that I still want to do. And, unless I am missing something it is EXPENSIVE! At least compared to all grain beer.

20 gallons all one go. I learned 2 things: 1. never do more than 5 gallons without temperature control. 2. Drill powered stirrer.

35 gallons in several carboys and buckets. Basically blew my monthly budget for the year and created over 100 bottles in various flavors. I wanted to see what would happen if I used everything at once. Problematical when it came to racking. I had to buy one more bucket in order to hold the mead while I cleaned the carboy out for use.

3 gallons. Seriously, who needs more than15 bottles of a single batch? Then again, I don't age in secondary for months and months/years.

I guess! haha. Its just that I have 2 9 gallon carboys at home doing nothing and i was thinking of making a big batch, for maybe the holidays and giveaways for family. :)

Just slightly over 5 gallons. I still have about 14 bottles of it left and it's aged for over a full year. It keeps improving in flavor as it gets older, so if you like mead, I'd say it's definitely worth it. I bottled it at about 6-7 months of age, and I've been sampling 1 bottle every month since then. Pretty drastic how much the flavor has changed.

Oh how exciting! Please update me if you think its reached its peak! :) I' have a 5 gallon one going on right now as well I'm excited for the outcome! :)

None yet. I have so many beers and wines that I still want to do. And, unless I am missing something it is EXPENSIVE! At least compared to all grain beer.

What's your favorite one so far? :) Yeah, it is, but then the melomel I tried last year was the one that made me go "You know, I should learn about this and try it."

70 gallons. Spread out over 14 sessions.

How did it turn out? I'm assuming 14 5 gallon batches? how does that play out? how did that turn out? :) What was your OG, SG, and FG? :) I'm assuming you kept it constant for all sessions. also, what made you decide to do 70 gallons? :rockin:

20 gallons all one go. I learned 2 things: 1. never do more than 5 gallons without temperature control. 2. Drill powered stirrer.

Oh my, what happened to the 20 gallon batch? And yes, I can imagine how hard it must have been to do the 20 gallons. :)))) So I'm planning to do 9 gallons, I'd have to do temp control, yes?

35 gallons in several carboys and buckets. Basically blew my monthly budget for the year and created over 100 bottles in various flavors. I wanted to see what would happen if I used everything at once. Problematical when it came to racking. I had to buy one more bucket in order to hold the mead while I cleaned the carboy out for use.

Makes sense to have an extra one on hand! :) what flavors did you do? I'm fairly new to all of this and I'm so excited. :):mug:

That 3gal batch was made for the holiday giveaway, actually. If you have the money and the patience, a 9gal batch would be cool.

Oh how exciting! Please update me if you think its reached its peak! :) I' have a 5 gallon one going on right now as well I'm excited for the outcome! :)

I've hit the point in beers and ciders where they've reached their peak and then started to go downhill (for beers, an IPA's peak might be at 1 month, while a lambic-style sour might be at 2 years, so it is a pretty broad spectrum, though), but I've never hit that peak with mead. I imagine it's probably somewhere around the 2 or 3 year mark. Maybe further down the line, depending on the batch.

Back