what is the best temp to pitch yeast, and then ferment ale from extract??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripleymaine

Reaction score
I have been starting my fermentation at about 78 degrees(stouts, porters...mini-mashes). The temp hangs there for a few days...then gradually tapers to 66 degrees in a week or more. I insulate my fermentor, so it seems to seek and hold the temp it likes. Is this too warm.....a mistake??...I've enjoyed my beers very much....but have only done 10 batches, so I don't have a lot to compare them to. So far I have only used dry yeasts...such as coopers or safale 04, and now use a 24 hour starter. Any suggestions or constructive criticism?

Hey Ripley, hope your morning is going well. Each strain of yeast has its happy range where it produces it's best work. From my reading and experience, you want to hit that temp in your wort very quickly and hold it rock solid for the first phase at least, then you can ramp temps up to help accelerate the yeast cleaning up their own byproducts. Some yeast ferment very warm and while I haven't used the ones you mentioned, most of the the ale yeasts I use I like to start in the 60's. Worked pretty well for me so far.

Also on your starter, it's good to keep track of times but make sure you're noting initial cell count estimates, starter wort volume and gravity so you can have some idea what final cell count estimate you are pitching into your wort. I imagine you are, just a note since you referenced it by hours. Are you using something like mrmalty calc?

Thanks for answers...although over my head. I simply add dry (or washed yeast from another similar batch)...to (sterilized, boiled) 2 pints water with 1/2 cup dme. I have noticed starter going less active in 24 hours...and plan my brewing to add the yeast at that time.

Sorry, not my intent. Yeast is an area I'm learning more about too. If I'm starting out with a new batch of yeast, I'll use a starter wort of 1.040 SG and a volume (1L for example) to reach an estimated cell count that I usually get from mrmalty.com. I like taking this direction since it is a fairly repeatable process. Sometimes I'll pitch the whole starter at peak of its fermentation (~12 hrs). Other times I'll do like you, wait for all activity to finish up (~24 hrs) let the yeast settle, decant excess liquid (if I had a 2+ liter starter) and pitch that.

Chances are that's probably too warm! Most ale yeasts like something in the 60-70 degree range. If you get them too warm they'll throw off some funky esters and fusel alcohols, which won't taste too good. But with that being said, if you like what you're getting then who cares! It's your beer. But the manufacturer specifies a temperature range for each yeast strain, so you can use that if you want.

Also, for dry yeast generally a starter isn't needed since the cell count is significantly higher than liquid. You can check mrmalty.com for the proper pitch rate, but chances are one pack will be plenty! You can rehydrate it in some boiled & cooled water, which is usually recommended to keep the yeast happy.

For example, here's some info about S-04 from Fermentis:
http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_S-04_HB.pdf

Enjoy the hobby!

78 degrees is way too warm for most yeasts. Remember that the fermentation process adds temperature to the wort. I do most of my fermenting in the low to mid sixties. That also seems to be the current standard. Higher temperatures can lead to off flavors and fusel alcohols.

Also making a starter from dry yeast is not necessary and maybe worse than not doing one. They are produced with high cell counts and whatever that makes them ready to go. Re-hydrating is often recommended.

Starters for reusing yeast is a good move.

Most of the temperature impact comes during the lag phase (yeast growth). For most ales, this means temperature control during the first ~48 hours is what matters most. I always keep fermometer temperature below70 until day 3, then ramp up the temp. from there. Some belgian brewers let their yeast get above 80 once initial fermentation has slowed. This helps attenuation and diacetyl reduction without the high esters and fusel alcohols.

I second starters are only needed for liquid yeasts. Dry yeast has about 200 billion cells per package. Some recommend rehydrating dry yeasts, but I've noticed no issues with beers up to 1.064 og so far pitching directly. I've also pitched wyeast packs up to 1.052 without a starter and noticed no off flavors. I would suspect that those og's are nearing the limits of tiring out the yeast though. I tend to lean on Safale US-05 for most of my American style ales that I want crisp. If I'm looking for a flavor just a bit different or in my wheats I sway towards a wyeast product. I've yet to use a Whitelabs yeast.

I try to brew by these guidlines concerning yeast:

Max 1.05 og for wyeast witout a starter, 1.065 for dry without doubling up.

I shoot for a stable temp of 64 for most non-wheat style ales and American wheats and 68-70 for bavarian style wheats.

I normally am not in a hurry so I go long primaries without really increasing the temp and no secondary unless adding fruit.

Even the Cooper's yeast will work well down to 64F. But I started tossing the little 7g packets from the cans in the fridge. Northern Brewer & Midwest carry the 15g Cooper's ale yeast,& they're fresher. But most ale yeasts are better around 64-66F. And dry yeast is better re-hydrated in boiled & cooled water. I use 1.5C for this for 20-40 minutes. Just stir & pitch.

Back