what is the best pump for your money?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambam190

Reaction score
I'm looking into a pump for my new allgrain setup, any suggestions?

Price, good features anything else I need to know?

March pumps work well for me. However they are pretty noisy. I recently started brewing indoors again and I bought a Chugger with SS head for that and quite frankly it is almost silent - I was amazed and happy that I bought it.

Yeah, what happened to Chugger pumps? I was going to get a couple for a HERMS but they've totally vanished and the website is selling March 809s now.

From what I read they were always a March ditributor, they got a few SS heads made ex China (?), and sold them off cheap as prototypes because of some fabrication issues (non eccentric holes, poor threads) and it seems that there has been no more progress past these prototypes. Its a shame really, althogh he never replied to my email for a 230V pump so I doubt I would have bought one anyway.

Got any retail sources and model numbers? Their website is incredibly obtuse.

MarineDepot

PanWorld pumps are Iwaki clones (from the Iwaki chief engineer). I've been using one (40PX) for more than 5 years in a marine aquarium of mine (24x7x365). Ultra efficient, ultra quiet and very capable. It's the best pump I've ever bought for anything.

I prefer gravity pumps. No electricity needed, no seals to go bad and no maintenance - ever.

"Gravity" pumps are very appealing, but, you are over-selling it here a bit. No seals? Yea, you need seals - unless you don't care about water leaking all over the place. No maintenance? The pump referenced above hasn't been touched since I bought it almost 6 years ago - that kind of "no maintenance", or the kind of "no maintenance" that includes constantly tightening up a fitting that's leaking because it has no seal? :)

"Huh" what? The question is "what is the best pump for your money?" and I answered "PanWorld". What's not clear about that?

Sorry, I typed Panworld into google and all that came back was travel websites, had another look for "panworld pumps" and saw the pump website ;)

Any idea what the temperature rating is on one of them PanWorld pumps? I can’t find a spec sheet.

From what I read they were always a March ditributor, they got a few SS heads made ex China (?), and sold them off cheap as prototypes because of some fabrication issues (non eccentric holes, poor threads) and it seems that there has been no more progress past these prototypes. Its a shame really, although he never replied to my email for a 230V pump so I doubt I would have bought one anyway.

In response to the chugger pumps I've been speaking with Mike from chugger pumps over the last few months. I emailed him in early April and this was his response

"We sold out of the Chuggers …new ones are I production now …we have made some modifications to the Impeller, HP and the Heads …all look great …we will have them for sale in the beginning of May"

After I has not seen any activity on the website in May I emailed him last week (May 24th) and asked when the new models would be available.

"In the next 2-3 weeks"

Price is expected to be around 129.99 for the stainless heads.

I've almost completed my single tier build and trying to hold of on these for the stainless heads and the fact that they run quieter. If they take longer than mid-June I will probably just go ahead and get a March 809.

Everyone on this site seemed to be really happy with the first run, even though they were prototypes. Hopefully this next batch will fix the issues that people were having with the first run (mostly the threading). I'm guessing just keep checking the web site and they will update it when the new ones are available.

In response to the chugger pumps I've been speaking with Mike from chugger pumps over the last few months. I emailed him in early April and this was his response

"We sold out of the Chuggers …new ones are I production now …we have made some modifications to the Impeller, HP and the Heads …all look great …we will have them for sale in the beginning of May"

After I has not seen any activity on the website in May I emailed him last week (May 24th) and asked when the new models would be available.

"In the next 2-3 weeks"

Price is expected to be around 129.99 for the stainless heads.

I've almost completed my single tier build and trying to hold of on these for the stainless heads and the fact that they run quieter. If they take longer than mid-June I will probably just go ahead and get a March 809.

Everyone on this site seemed to be really happy with the first run, even though they were prototypes. Hopefully this next batch will fix the issues that people were having with the first run (mostly the threading). I'm guessing just keep checking the web site and they will update it when the new ones are available.

Sounds good, thanks for going to the trouble of investigating it ;)

Redesigned ...bigger better and quieter ..more flow and pressure more HP...everything you guys asked for

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR DELIVERY ON CHUGGER PUMPS

I'm looking into a pump for my new allgrain setup, any suggestions?

Price, good features anything else I need to know?

New Chuggers will be on sale in 2 weeks!!!! New design more flow...more pressure ...exceeds the 809 and 815 pumps

March pumps work well for me. However they are pretty noisy. I recently started brewing indoors again and I bought a Chugger with SS head for that and quite frankly it is almost silent - I was amazed and happy that I bought it.

Sold-out again it seems.

Someone should probably start a poll thread to gauge how many chuggers are wanted on HBT, that last lot seemed to be a mad scramble. Hopefully the lead time on the next shipment is pretty short as the wait going from prototype-production unit last time was killing the buzz a little :D

I'm waiting on one. I may go center inlet high flow march 809 but I hear such good things about the chugger that I'm willing to wait. Hopefully the next batch comes in soon.

The good thing is you get a SS pump head for the price of a plastic one, worth it in my opinion :D

Back