What is my BIAB Efficiency?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

petrolSpice

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
833
Reaction score
98
Doing my first BIAB batch today and want to know how to calculate my efficiency. When I first entered the recipe into Brewer's Friend I used a 65% efficiency and it said my boil gravity would be 1.048. But right after mashing the OG was 1.052, this corresponds to an efficiency of 70% in Brewer's Friend. So is my efficiency 70%?

Mash temp was 154F. 60 minute mash, no sparge, no mashout (forgot to do it).

Thanks.
 

DurtyChemist

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
153
Location
Reno
Is mash efficiency the efficiency that everyone here refers to?

Not always. For BIAB forum it might but for traditional all grain I would believe it is brew house efficiency.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
 

DurtyChemist

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
153
Location
Reno
Is mash efficiency the efficiency that everyone here refers to?

Not always. For BIAB forum it might but for traditional all grain I would believe it is brew house efficiency.


Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew
 

LavaAle

Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2013
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
PUerto Ayora
If it's the efficiency field in the recipe editor, then it would be brewhouse eff. When you hit Brew it! after saving the recipe, you can input all your numbers (mash volume/gravity, boil v/g, etc) in the Log Entry tab.
What I did in my first batches was use a default BH eff at 75% and then adjust the numbers in the recipe until matching what I got in the end
 
OP
P

petrolSpice

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
833
Reaction score
98
If it's the efficiency field in the recipe editor, then it would be brewhouse eff. When you hit Brew it! after saving the recipe, you can input all your numbers (mash volume/gravity, boil v/g, etc) in the Log Entry tab.
What I did in my first batches was use a default BH eff at 75% and then adjust the numbers in the recipe until matching what I got in the end
Ah yes I forgot about that. 70% brewhouse efficiency is what I entered.

Looks like I got 77% conversion efficiency... not bad for my first BIAB, no sparge, no mashout, LHBS-crushed grains :mug:
 
Top