What is melanoiden malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkeusch

Reaction score
I found a recipe for red ale in the recipe database that called for melanoiden malt. Can anyone tell me more about this malt?
Thanx!

It adds a really strong malty flavor and is usually used in small quantities. It's supposed be a similar impact as doing a traditional decoction mash.

I found a recipe for red ale in the recipe database that called for melanoiden malt. Can anyone tell me more about this malt?
Thanx!

Melanoidin malt will also give you a beautiful red colour in your finished beer. As noted above, it contains a lot of the same melanoidins that are the product of Maillard reactions in decoction mashes. I don't think of decoctions as particularly difficult, but they can be time-consuming, and this is a great shortcut.

Thanx!

Its supposedly designed as a substitute for decoction mashing; the taste is somewhat like a darkish Munich Malt. You usually see it as a character malt in low percentages (e.g. just a few ounces in lagers, maybe it a little more in certain ales). While you most often see it in German styles that are typically decocted, you don't need restrict yourself to lagers if you want to use it. Homebrewers use it in all sorts of styles.

It's used in the zombie dust clone and makes it great! Perfect balance for all the hops tossed in there

Back