What is happening when a wine ages?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuiceBar

Reaction score
The other day I realized I don't really know what is happening when wine ages. On a scientific level. Why does the flavor mature over time?

Can anyone fill me in?

I believe after adding numerous compounds from the start of the wine making process there ends up with suspension that is basically elements trying to find themselves. As the elements settle out and drop to the bottom or side of carboy or bottle the flavor of the original grape reappears.

As the elements settle out and drop to the bottom or side of carboy or bottle the flavor of the original grape reappears.

Thanks Coffee. Does this mean that I should leave a few inches of liquid at the bottom of the carboy when bottling?

I have experienced a 16th of in inch deep ring around the outside pocket bottom of carboy after 2nd racking and 10 mo in carboy, so you will get 25 bottles out of a 5 gallon container

Back