What is happening to my Mead? Help please...

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Blæinger

Reaction score
I searched a few forums (including this one) and didn't come up with anything...

About 4-5 days into the primary fermentation, I took a look at the bottle, and noticed little (-1/2") verticle strings that were thicker near the top and going to a point at the bottom, clinging to bubbles on the surface of the Mead. They were similar in color to the yeast (muddy brown) and were gel-like...

My first thought was to flick the bottle, and the nearest one sunk, so I continued until all that were near the edge had been sunk as well. The only ones I couldn't sink were near the center of the surface.

Afterwards, I thought that maybe they were living off the air in the bubbles and that by sinking them, I might kill them? :confused:

What are those things?! ... I have never read about or seen them before.

Is my batch ruined? Anything I can do or should have done?

(I will see if I can get a picture of the remaining ones tomorrow and post it.)

OP
B

Blæinger

Reaction score
Yes there is... I brewed a cup of Green Tea (two bags) and added it to the mix at the same time as the honey/water/yeast.

Is a yeast chain a bad thing?

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Blæinger said:
Yes there is... I brewed a cup of Green Tea (two bags) and added it to the mix at the same time as the honey/water/yeast.

Is a yeast chain a bad thing?
Probably just yeast. Take a sample.

david_42

Reaction score
Yeast grown by budding and budding and budding. Sometime buds breaking apart and sometimes you get chains.

Leave the mead alone for about three months.

Latest posts