What is floating in my wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keysersozelives

Reaction score
Brand spanking new to making wine. I thought I would try something simple for my first time. Followed sterile procedure. 2 cans of Welch's concentrate 1 can of apple concentrate 1lbs sugar pitched bread yeast I farmed from a sugar wash......
Let it go for a week and then racked it into sterile glass 1 gallon bottles balloons on top. 2 gallons total.
Now I have little puffy cotton ball looking things flotingnear the top. Is this an infection?

Last edited:
Awesome here is some pics.

Attachments

• 20180126_164345.jpg
    20180126_164345.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • 20180126_164335.jpg
    20180126_164335.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
Bread yeast is for bread.

Wine yeast is for wine.

Hammers are for nails

Screwdrivers are for screws.

Its really not that difficult...

I think in most cases that is true - Then again ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I have made LOTS of bread with reclaimed yeast from beer.

I shoot my nails with a gun - Hammers are for amateurs and would be traditionalists.

I use a screw gun or a battery drill most of the time. screw drivers sometimes, and even my mill when the job warrants it.

AND I made wine for years with bread yeast before i ever saw my first wine yeast. Still make a couple JAOM's a year with the regular recipe. i have been happy with the most of them. Nothing wrong with messing with bread yeast, one just needs to be prepared to deal with a few occasional hassles is all.

Thanks gunhas for your words of encouragement. Like I said I'm brand new to this. I'm sure if I ever want to make real wine I'd go all the way with it and use grapes and wine yeast. But for now this was a good learning experience.
DoctorCAD next time I try to fit a square peg in a round hole I'll consult you first.

"There's more than one way to skin them cats!"

DoctorCAD is in fact correct for the greater part - And I do think that the "right tool" approach is the way to go. BUT, I would rather see someone dive in, and go for it rather than sit around a fret over not having the "proper" everything for the task. There seems to be too much paralysis at times! Once you get a feel for it and once you get to make a batch with more proper yeasts, you'll see the big differences seemingly small things can make! In fact i think a batch or two with bread yeast is a pretty neat learning experience if for no other reason that things like "fluffy lees" makes more sense once you have actually experienced it yourself. Keep hammering away! It's all for fun right!

Back