What is deadspace in mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerryhz

Reaction score
I'm creating my Equipment Profile on the BeerSmith software, and it is asking about deadspace. What exactly is that?

I have a 10-gal Igloo cooler as a mash tun with a false bottom.

Is the space in the false bottom the deadspace? How does one measure that?

Yes, it's the space under the false bottom. Find the area of the circle and multiply by the height of the false bottom's rise.

I set the mash tun dead space to the volume of liquid that doesn't siphon out when I drain the mash. There is considerably less liquid remaining because of a dip tube under the false bottom. The rest of the liquid under the false bottom does affect the water/grain ratio during the mash though.

I filled the mash tun with water until I saw it just at the false bottom. That is what I use as my dead space.

I set the mash tun dead space to the volume of liquid that doesn't siphon out when I drain the mash. There is considerably less liquid remaining because of a dip tube under the false bottom. The rest of the liquid under the false bottom does affect the water/grain ratio during the mash though.

This is the most accurate. You want to account for wort left behind after draining the tun.

great tips, thanks! I was able to figure out the mash tun deadspace. It turned out to be about 200mL or roughly half a gallon.

That sounds about right. The more accurate way is to fill it so that it can gravity drain and once it stops measure what's left. But there's likely so little difference you won't notice it. If this is the most inconsistent part of your system then you've already got the holy grail so who cares about a few ounces ;-)

It's the amount of liquid left behind once your mash tun is drained. It's used to calculate losses in the brewering process to ensure you get the correct volumes throughout the process

This is the most accurate. You want to account for wort left behind after draining the tun.

I don't think that's right. It refers to the volume of water under the false bottom, that does not contact the wort. I think this because there's a setting also for "Adjust Mash volume for dead space". My dead space under my false bottom is ~3 quarts (use water to measure it). When calculating my strike water, by checking that box, BeerSmith adds another 3 quarts to my strike water. If I used the other definition (wort left behind after draining) that's 0 for me, pickup tube on the bottom. The first time i used the system my mash was so thick i couldn't stir it because i was 3-4 quarts low on water. I then started using the (new) adjust mash volume for deadspace check box and it adds the right amount of water.

I don't think that's right. It refers to the volume of water under the false bottom, that does not contact the wort. I think this because there's a setting also for "Adjust Mash volume for dead space". My dead space under my false bottom is ~3 quarts (use water to measure it). When calculating my strike water, by checking that box, BeerSmith adds another 3 quarts to my strike water. If I used the other definition (wort left behind after draining) that's 0 for me, pickup tube on the bottom. The first time i used the system my mash was so thick i couldn't stir it because i was 3-4 quarts low on water. I then started using the (new) adjust mash volume for deadspace check box and it adds the right amount of water.

You are probably right, somewhat. It would be both. If your pick up left a lot of wort that would have to be taken into account also. I use a braid so I don't have more than a cup or so.

it is also the space between the wall of the mash tun and the wall of the brewzilla/grainfather/etc

Back