I used a hydrometer initially and checked gravity weekly. The switch to a refractometer made for more economic sampling and figured out how to use the calculator so no real confusion on my end.Most everything for measuring efficiency for mash and beer fermentation revolves around specific gravity. Refractometers require more effort to get a approximation of specific gravity. And as evidenced in many threads here can cause quite a long and confusing discussion.
So just get a hydrometer and use it to double check your results with the refractometer. Then you'll know quickly if you are calculating correction factors incorrectly. After you know you are getting the same numbers, you can exclusively use your refractometer.
Hydrometers are very inexpensive.
Fermentis, in their Tips and Tricks brochure (p 28) provides some performance information on their strains. From that information, it looks like S-33 can be 'done' fairly quickly while US-05 can take more time.It was a Brewer's best kit and the yeast was unspecified.
Fermentis, in their Tips and Tricks brochure (p 28) provides some performance information on their strains. From that information, it looks like S-33 can be 'done' fairly quickly while US-05 can take more time.
There are many factors (wort composition, fermentation temperature) that affect performance. For example, I've fermented with US-05 in the 58-62F range a couple of times. I found it to be very, very slow.
I was using the original numbers from the OP.To which OG and which FG are you referring?
I was using the original numbers from the OP.
FG of 1.022, which is in the ballpark of 1.039
He had 1.073 for OG. Was there a final predicted FG or corrected measurement?Those were found to be erroneous. OP had not used a refractometer calculator to arrive at FG. OP is also unsure of their measured OG. Given the grist is predominantly extract and sugar, low 1070s is likely.
That's a stretch.
OG (including sugar) seems like it was probably about 1.074-ish.
1.074 --> 1.039 = ~47% ADF
1.074 --> 1.022 = ~70% ADF
Not really in the same ballpark. Underpitching can certainly cause lower attenuation, but the affect is usually pretty subtle. Pitch rate (within reason) just isn't a major driver of attenuation in my experience. (That said, there are other reasons to pay attention to pitch rate.)
Also, I think even 70% ADF would be low for this wort and yeast. We don't know the mash temp or length, but with a subtantial amount of the OG coming from table sugar, this should be very fermentable wort.
Ah, I missed that final FG. 1.022 seems more reasonable, though with that much sugar I might have guessed lower. When I use two pounds of sugar my Belgian beers sometimes finish under 1.000!That OG in Post #1 didn't include 2# of sugar. Yes, ~1.022.
But, they didn't.
Wort composition and yeast selection.When I use two pounds of sugar my Belgian beers sometimes finish under 1.000!
Wort composition and yeast selection.
OPs recipe is roughy 60% DME, 25% sugar, and 15% mashed malts (based on gravity points supplied, not weight). Even with the 25% sugar, this is not a highly fermentable wort.
Look at the chart in #23.
S-33 is going to leave a lot of "stuff" behind that other strains (e.g. BE-134, BE-256) wont't.
My experiences with S-33 and DME from a couple of years ago indicate otherwise (70%-ish attenuation). Ingredients can change over time, but with a number of newer dry strains available, I haven't 'made time' to revisit S-33.
Enter your email address to join:
Register today and take advantage of membership benefits.
Enter your email address to join: