What is Acid Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
This Beer Captured recipe, for a Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse clone, calls for 2 oz. of Acid Malt.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse

Steeped Grains:
  • 4 oz. Belgian Aromatic Malt
  • 2 oz. Acid Malt

Extract:
  • 5.75 lb Muntons Wheat DME
  • 2 oz. Malto Dextrin

The BC index, under German Grains lists an Acidulated (Sauer) Malt with an SRM of 1.7-2.8L and 1.033 potential gravity, so I guess that's what Acid Malt is, but I can't find Acid or Sauer Malt listed on any supplier sites. Anybody heard of this stuff, and/or know where to get it, and/or have any suggestions on substitutions? TIA

Acidulated (Sauer) or Acid Malt is a very light (1.6-3.2L) Pale/Pils type of malt that has an activated pH of 3.5-3.6 from lactic acid treatment. It is used by the brewing industry to balance mashes by lowering the pH making it more conductive for enzymatic reactions at lower temperatures. It supposed to intensify early (Stage 1 & 2) fermentation and improve flavor stability during packaging?

I know for certain that Weyermann Acidulated is available through Crosby & Baker Wholesale, so any homebrew shop that deals with them should be able to special order it. My LHBS carries it for $1.42/lb. Check them out if you want to @ www.highgravitybrew.com :)

Thanks for the link...SWMBO is in Tulsa every other week or so...I'll have to have her pick some up for me. :cool:

Back