Quantcast

What is a Thermowell???

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DarkSide

Reaction score
Ok. I know this is a silly question, but I came across this at MoreBeer:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/6046/delete/Weldless_Shielded_Thermowell

A Thermowell.

So, am I correct in assuming this will allow me to add a thermometer to my HLT, Mashtun or Kettle? Do I install this and it allows me to put any thermometer probe through it into the HLT, Kettle, etc? Does it have some sort of material stppeor in it?

missing link

Reaction score
The temp probe for an electronic controller can be inserted into a thermowell.

For a thermometer, just use a 1/8 compression fitting with some o-rings.

Linc

tipicreeper

Reaction score
Just be sure that the probe that is being used makes direct contact with the bottom of the thermowell. In essence, a thermowell is simply a sheath with a pipe thread so a water tight contection can be made without the actual thermocouple or temp probe. Then the probe is inserted into the thermowell and senses the temperature by the heat of the thermowell.
Cheers
-David

schmeek

Reaction score
So if I am interested in measuring the inner wort temperature but don't need a temp controller (I don't have a kegerator) should I buy a thermowell and stick a dial thermometer in it? What is a 1/8 compression fitting? Also, can you use a thermowell in conjunction with an airlock?

helibrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So if I am interested in measuring the inner wort temperature but don't need a temp controller (I don't have a kegerator) should I buy a thermowell and stick a dial thermometer in it? What is a 1/8 compression fitting? Also, can you use a thermowell in conjunction with an airlock?
Look here: http://morebeer.com/search?search=thermowell

There is a hood version and a stopper version