What is a "Sugar Break" ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savanah21music

Mountain Mama Mead
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am posting in regards to the popular BOMM recipe, as I have confusion about what the "Sugar break" is that he is referring to? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated - Thank You!

It's a measure of how far into fermentation you are. Say, a 1.099 must. A 1/3 sugar break nutrient addition would be added when the mead hits 1.066. A 1/3 break addition in a 1.060 must would be at 1.040.

It's a measure of how far into fermentation you are. Say, a 1.099 must. A 1/3 sugar break nutrient addition would be added when the mead hits 1.066. A 1/3 break addition in a 1.060 must would be at 1.040.
Follow up, I used EC 1118 yeast and saw where 1 packet was used for a 3 gallon effort. I tried to cut the yeast into three equal mounds to use 1/3 packet for the gallon. The reason I am asking this is that after a few days I checked SG and there was no change from initial. There seems to be yeast activity as there are bubbles. I am checking again today at 1 week. If no change, add more yeast? Thank you

For the cost of a wine yeast you really want to use a whole pack. The cost of not using the whole pack is that if your hydration process is not good you might kill more than 50% of the colony AND unless you know that any bacteria that have access to the open pack of yeast are not going to be thriving on the dehydrated yeast cells that have been packed with a tiny amount of nutrient then you are asking for trouble storing an opened pack of yeast in your fridge. Supplies for your wine or mead making by magnitudes outweigh the cost of a packet of yeast... so to be penny wise, don't be pound foolish. One pack of yeast can ferment up to about 5 or 6 gallons of a low ABV wine.. Home wine makers cannot possibly over-pitch yeast, but we can - and do - frequently under-pitch.

Back