What is a good beginner kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodsStepBrother

Reaction score
Hey guys i am just starting and have read alot about the process of brewing seen all the videos i can about it, and my kit should arrive in the mail by the end of the week. I am in the process of buyin my first kit and was wondering what is the best type of beer to start of with. I think i will order off Austin home brew supply because it is so much closer to where i live and the yeast will be less damaged. I was thinking of doing an IPA or a STOUT. Also i am very worried about fermenting it because i live in the desert and it is very hot, and my house probably stays around 85 degrees when the air is not on (when i am at work or school). Should i throw it in my friend basement, to be safe. I have read it should be cool right?

all the best
Albert...

Welcome to HBT! Brew what you like to drink. You could start with a Coopers can, which is basically a no-boil brew, or go with one of the kits from AHB.

You can ferment in warmer temps, but it will have more of a banana taste. 72 or cooler is best. You could use an ice bath - get a big blue beverage pail from Lowe's, fill with water, and rotate some frozen water bottles once or twice a day. That should help.

Relax, don't worry. Have a homebrew!

Any beer that you like to drink! (OK, not lambics &c.)

IPAs or stouts are 'easy'.:)

Temperature has to be within RANGE for the yeast used. Buy a good yeast - always - and get its profile, if available. This will help you no end.

Good Luck!
YeastGardener.
:mug:

BTW, if you're His step-brother ... you probably know all this.

wow thanks alot this helped alot very good idea to throw the beer in a bucket with ice bottles. I think i will go with a kit from AHBS thanks!

Any beer that you like to drink! (OK, not lambics &c.)

IPAs or stouts are 'easy'.:)

Temperature has to be within RANGE for the yeast used. Buy a good yeast - always - and get its profile, if available. This will help you no end.

Good Luck!
YeastGardener.
:mug:

BTW, if you're His step-brother ... you probably know all this.

YES I AM THE BLACK SHEEP OF THE FAMILY!!hahahha....i dont have his cool powers..

I would pick a beer that you like on the market and pick the clone from AHB if they have it. My first beer was a Newcastle because 1.) I thought I could mess it up so go cheapest 2. ) I could easily get Newcastle to compare to see where I went wrong.

What did I learn? 1.) It is pretty hard to mess up so go with what you like 2.) You will probably start your 2nd-3rd batch before you even taste your first.

What you really should you be asking yourself? Partial or Extract? I went with Partial.

Latest posts

Back