What is a fair price for a used keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertroll

Reaction score
I think I've tracked down a keg to repurpose into a boil kettle (haven't seen it yet, so I don't know what kind of shape it's in). The keg's current owner has had it for so long that he no longer remembers what he paid for it and isn't sure of the value. Since this is the first one I've managed to find, I don't really know what the going rate is either. I don't want to overpay, but I don't want to rip the guy off either. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a fair offer might be?

He didnt pay anything for the keg. He simply placed a small deposit and then kept it after that. Legally its a stolen keg...

I think the $30-$40 range is reasonable. If he can prove he legally owns it (not stolen as chemman14 proposes), I'd pay a little more just for the peace of mind. Legally acquired kegs do exist... but chances are, this is not one. That being said, $30-$40

What is it worth to you? Can you find a 15 gallon boil kettle elsewhere for $40?

...especially Stainless Steel. This is why I bought kegs to cut up. Otherwise you're probalby looking at a couple of hundred bucks for an comparable SS kettle.

I paid $130 for four 15.5 gal kegs. Comes out to $32.50 each, which I thought was very reasonable. Looking back, I have no idea if they were legitimately owned before I bought them. They were just for sale in a yard of junk among other things. I was sure to give them a good cleaning though.

Depends on the fittings installed in it too. IF he used all stainless fittings (3-piece ball valve, good dip tube, etc.) then it will be worth more. If he used an one piece valve and all brass fittings, worth considerably less. If you weren't 3 hours away from me I'd offer to help you build up one for yourself. With LEGAL kegs. :D If you want to explore that option, PM me... I have all the tools needed to do the conversion.

I live in the K.C., MO area. I've never seen a used for less than 50 bucks. Which, coincidentally is the usually the cost of your deposit....

On the whole legal/illegal question though. If they keep your deposit, you own that keg. There is usually something in the paper-work you sign that states that after a certain amount of time has past, they will pocket your deposit and you now own the empty piece of stainless steel or aluminum. Similar to a movie rental, correct? Or am I completely off base?

I live in the K.C., MO area. I've never seen a used for less than 50 bucks. Which, coincidentally is the usually the cost of your deposit....

On the whole legal/illegal question though. If they keep your deposit, you own that keg. There is usually something in the paper-work you sign that states that after a certain amount of time has past, they will pocket your deposit and you now own the empty piece of stainless steel or aluminum. Similar to a movie rental, correct? Or am I completely off base?

I hope you're right. Otherwise, I feel bad.

I doubt that is the case. The beer companies, or the keg supplier they contract, own the kegs. You are not purchasing the keg when you buy a keg of beer, you are purchasing the beer. The keg is still owned by the brewery or the keg supplier whichever the case may be.

The deposit is only incentive to get you to return the keg and to recoup a portion of the cost of replacing the keg if it's not returned.

You could certainly forfeit the deposit and keep the keg, but that does not transfer ownership to you. It only means you've given them money and stolen the keg.

Actually purchasing the keg would require a bill of sale. Check the bill of sale on the beer purchase and see if it mentions also keeping the keg.

Or purchase a decommissioned keg, from a recycle center or such. Once the kegs are decommissioned, they're fair game for all.

Also, new 1/2 barrel kegs still cost about $100 each in LARGE quantities. One, or two, at a time (or anything less than a full pallet load) runs about $135 each (plus shipping). I've looked into getting brand new kegs before. At this point, it's a dream.

In SC, the law is quite incomplete:

2mn24ut.jpg

It appears this only applies to kegs purchased after Jan 1, 2008. It also doesn't say anything about altering or destroying a keg, just that you need the tag. You could (conceivably) keep the tag and use the keg for a kettle without any possible recourse against you.

The rest of the lawyereeze is here.

What's painful in SC is that most places refuse to refund the money after 3 months, and you get stuck with the keg. The law doesn't cover that.

MC

Completely off base.

You're putting a $30 deposit on something that cost $150 new.

The kegs run $127 IF you're buying (or get your purchase count up to) over 300. I still think that's if you're getting a full pallet. That doesn't include the shipping charges though. :eek: I was probably thinking of the 1/4 barrel kegs for the cost per keg I listed earlier.

Still, expecting to be able to keep a keg because you put down <$50 on it is just wrong. It would be like thinking you could just keep that rental car and have them keep the deposit amount. :eek:

You're wrong, and unfortunately this is how many customers and liquor store owners operate. I have tried to take a keg back before and they gave me the spiel on how its been over a month and i cant accept it. That does nothing to the store owner, while hurting the consumer and brewery owner

At first glance at the OP's username i thought this thread was started for a particular purpose. Then i did a search on his threads and saw it was a legitimate question (answered a billion times before : )

i've seen shady $20 offers on CL around my neck of the woods, legit $40 offers at scrap dealers, and of course the $150 brand new online from mfg.

At first glance at the OP's username i thought this thread was started for a particular purpose. Then i did a search on his threads and saw it was a legitimate question (answered a billion times before : )

i've seen shady $20 offers on CL around my neck of the woods, legit $40 offers at scrap dealers, and of course the $150 brand new online from mfg.

Keep in mind, prices in different parts of the country can be extremely different. They can also shift radically from year to year. What you might have picked up for $40 last year could be $80 (or more) this year. Someone in CA could locate deals far better than someone in New England.

You own it, thats why deposits are required! I rent an engine hoist and require 150.00 plus the rental charge, in the event they take off I can go buy another one.

You own it, thats why deposits are required! I rent an engine hoist and require 150.00 plus the rental charge, in the event they take off I can go buy another one.

Does it cost you $450-$500 for the replacement hoist? The 'deposit' on kegs is about 1/3 of what the replacement will cost (plus shipping charges). It's more of a lure for people to return them and NOT just keep them. The amount is enough that most don't mind having the place hold onto the funds while they use the keg.

BTW, you own the BEER inside the keg, NOT the keg itself.

If they started charging replacement costs, as the 'deposit' sales of beer in kegs would go through the floor. People would B&W over the now $150 charge, that used to be $50. Maybe that's what it will take for people to stop keeping (stealing) the kegs though.

...plus the rental charge...

There's the difference - the store is not charging a rental fee. Theoretically, you keep at least a portion of that fee to cover depreciation of the lift with the expectation that at some point you'll have to replace it. Stores / breweries don't charge a rental fee that they can apply towards the purchase of new kegs in the event they are lost / stolen / damaged. One could argue that cost is built into the cost of the beer, but they're not quite the same example.

Plain and simple - keeping a keg and only paying the deposit is stealing. If you rent a hotel room and pay in cash they normally require a cash deposit for damages. That doesn't mean you own the hotel room and can go smash the walls in - you are just renting the room, and you get the deposit back later.

The debate is whether your moral compas tells you that stealing a keg is acceptable - and that's for each individual to decide.

Back