What in the world is going on with my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmericanRedDawn

Reaction score
So my beer started off great a little bubbling but nothing seemed out of the ordinary, then BAM! this happened! It started off with 4-5 big clumps but later spread all over the top covering it like a canopy or rug, I looked up what it might be and a lot of places said it was a "floatie" im just worried my batch is bad since this is my fist time making beer
IMG_20190828_224021.jpg
IMG_20190901_014821.jpg

When I read the title, I was hoping to see goldfish swimming around in the beer or that the entire batch had evaporated out the airlock. Alas, I was disappointed by, what some may consider, a money-shot of properly fermenting beer.

money shot of propery fermenting beer! It's the best description I've ever read.

to the OP: As you've been told, it's fine. If it doesn't go down in a few days, I normally swirl it a little just to drop it down like in the 1 week mark. I know some people say not to disturb the yeast, but I don't care, I don't like racking from below krausen.

Cheers and enjoy your soon to be beer

money shot of propery fermenting beer! It's the best description I've ever read.

to the OP: As you've been told, it's fine. If it doesn't go down in a few days, I normally swirl it a little just to drop it down like in the 1 week mark. I know some people say not to disturb the yeast, but I don't care, I don't like racking from below krausen.

Cheers and enjoy your soon to be beer

Just curious. You have had krausen hang around that long? I've never seen that. It has always dropped after few days to week or so. Long before I'm ready to bottle.

Kräusen occasionally doesn't fall. It depends on the yeast strain and wort.

Just curious. You have had krausen hang around that long? I've never seen that. It has always dropped after few days to week or so. Long before I'm ready to bottle.

The first time it happened I was surprised too. IIRC I left it for 3 weeks, then I asked here where I was told that it happens.
I just shook it and down it went.

Nowadays most of my batches go through the same. Although admittedly with a think layer of krausen, whereas the first time it was like a 1.5" thick layer :)

The first time it happened I was surprised too. IIRC I left it for 3 weeks, then I asked here where I was told that it happens.
I just shook it and down it went.

Nowadays most of my batches go through the same. Although admittedly with a think layer of krausen, whereas the first time it was like a 1.5" thick layer :)

That's crazy. Well, now I know for when and if it happens to me. Thanks.

Back