What in the hell is this?..Infection, maybe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottlabadie

Reaction score
Here is a photo of a bottle of Siason that has conditioned in the bottle for 3-4 weeks. Beer taste great and is perfectly carbonated. I can't find any flaws. Pay attention to the side of the bottles? It doesn't rinse out I literately have to scrap it off. I have been brewing for 11 years and work in a commercial brewery. I have never seen anything like this. Apparently, neither has the head brewer or any of the local homebrew shops as well. Come on fellow brewers, Any ideas?

photo.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Did you soak thr bottles with oxyclean? It looks like what we call oxyclean scale.

It's a combination of the reaction between oxyclean and minerals in water, as well as the residue evaporating. Usually it takes a soak in a weak acid, like a vinegar or lemon juice in water solution, or even starsan soak followed by a thorough rinse to clear it up.

Oxyckean is a cleanser not a sanitizer. It what we clean the bottles with. Did you clean them in anything before you sanitized them? If didn't it's probably something from the bottle manufacturing process, maybe a mold release agent.

When was the last time you used a bottle brush?
Every 3 or so batches I have to give the bottles a good cleaning with the bottle brush.

I only clean my bottles with a brush and hot water. I then let them soak in Idophor for sanitization. I don't use Oxyclean or anything before sanitation.

did you give up the bottle brush for a faucet washer/vinator ?

other guess since it looks like a cork/belgian bottle,
trichloroanisole cork fungus, you wouldn't even taste it in beer.

Interesting Amanda! No I do not use a faucet washer. I am too old school and set in my ways.

Its been plaugeing the wine industry off and on for years depending on the harvest, its in the cork trees and
what actually forms it and breeds it is a bit of a mystery.

Scrub it off and forget about it.

Thanks Amanda, no one on probrewer could answer this. That's why I love homebrew talk. Some people on this website know more than some brewmasters. Excellent!

Back