What if my wort is too concentrated in the fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckheadhobo

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently brewed a Witbeer, and I am fermenting it in a 6-gallon bucket. (HDPE, of course)
What I was wondering is this: There was no 5-gallon mark on the bucket, so I just filled it up to where I figured the 5 gallon mark would be. (it made sense at the time and still does)
The wort had boiled down to approx 4.5 gallons, and I had to top it off to (supposedly) 5 gallons with additional boiled Reverse-Osmosis water.

If I improperly diluted the wort prior to fermentation, would it bee progressing normally?
Also, if I bottled an improperly diluted beer, what would be the result? A more strongly-tasting beer?
Finally, if I find that it is improperly diluted, would it be possible to add more water when transferring it for secondary fermentation? Or perhaps when priming?

Thanks!

Yes
Slightly stronger beer.
Yes, but don't bother.

Realistically, you will not be able to tell the difference in the beer.

If I improperly diluted the wort prior to fermentation, would it bee progressing normally?
Within the range of volume differences that you;re talking about (0.5 g or so), no reason to believe it wouldn't be.
Also, if I bottled an improperly diluted beer, what would be the result? A more strongly-tasting beer?
Yes.
Finally, if I find that it is improperly diluted, would it be possible to add more water when transferring it for secondary fermentation? Or perhaps when priming?
You could (as long as it's preboiled, cooled and everything is sanitized). But if you're that close, I wouldn't bother. Mark your bucket for the next batch, and carry on.
:mug:

If it has a little less volume than 5 gallon, the result would be a slightly higher original gravity, assuming your gravity was correct coming out of the boil. This would mean a slightly higher alcohol content after fermentation.

If it has a little more than 5 gallons, the result would be a slightly lower gravity, and slightly less alcohol. After you put it in the primary a wort sample will tell your where your gravity sits.

No reason to adjust the volume unless something is way out of whack, which it shouldn't be in the situation you describe.

You can pre-measure 5 gallons next time and put it in the bucket first than mark off on the outside with a marker or tape where 5 gallons is.

Thanks guys! I'm no longer worried about my beer anymore.

I'm actually without a hydrometer right now, but I plan on investing in one soon.
That should make brewing easier for me. :p

I plan on transferring it to the secondary this weekend, when it hits 2 weeks of age.
Is there a particular length of time that one should let it sit in secondary? I'm thinking just a week or two.
Also, how does "headspace" affect the fermentation, if I may ask? I've seen it reccomended that one uses a glass carboy for secondary, but is that neccesary? A glass carboy would put a dent in my budget at the moment.
Thanks again, guys! Y'all rock!

Wit does not require a secondary. I'd use that bucket you're planning on transferring to to primary another batch and keep the wit where it is for three weeks before bottling. Headspace doesn't really effect fermentation, it's just an invitation for nasties that you don't want in your beer. Plenty of headspace is a good thing during primary to contain the krausen but after that it's best it keep it only beer and CO2 in the vessel. Hope this helps explain it.

Wit does not require a secondary. I'd use that bucket you're planning on transferring to to primary another batch and keep the wit where it is for three weeks before bottling. Headspace doesn't really effect fermentation, it's just an invitation for nasties that you don't want in your beer. Plenty of headspace is a good thing during primary to contain the krausen but after that it's best it keep it only beer and CO2 in the vessel. Hope this helps explain it.

You explained it perfectly.

I will certainly bottle it after 3 weeks. And then I'll move on to my stout. :rockin::rockin::rockin:

Back