What if it's "ready" early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I Bottle or Let Age?

• Bottle it now!

• Wait until it's properly aged!

• Other (please describe below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

monkeybox

Reaction score
I brewed my first sour, a Northern Brewer Lambic extract kit, in late august (Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend). I had a couple Jolly Pumpkins while I was brewing, so I added the dregs, as well. This has been sitting in a bucket ever since.

A couple weeks ago, I was curious, so I decided to take a sample, and it was fantastic. It's got a great sourness and a little bit of funk. It tastes great.

The description on the kit said, "Don't make this beer unless you are willing to let it sit for at least 18 months."

Okay, I can tuck it in a corner and try to forget about it, but I like it now, will it really improve? I'm tempted to bottle it and start another one to let sit 18 months.

What should I do?

You could bottle some - and transfer the rest to a smaller container for longer bulk aging. (A smaller container so it isn't sitting with lots of oxygen on it).

If you like it, bottle it and make another batch! You could always bottle age a bunch of it. So have a few now, and a couple every month. See how the flavor profile continues to change as it ages.

Drinking is fun.

If the gravity is stable you should be fine. Jolly Pumpkin dregs are fast and agressive, good way to make a quick sour. I did an amber buckwheat ale soured with JP dregs that was ready in about six months.

I won best of show and got second in the sour ale category with an eight month old lambic. I believe it was due to the Jolly Pumpkin dregs.

I would bottle it if the gravity was stable, but if you are going to age it for over a year it should probably be in glass or a Better Bottler and not a bucket.

I wonder if the bucket helped it along, too. I know extended aging in a bucket cause problems, but maybe the higher rate of oxygen transfer sped things up, too?

Latest posts

Back