What if......dumb idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonkota

Reaction score
We were having one of those deep office conversations and some how we got to talking about fermentation and how yeast eats sugar to make alcohol.....blah blah blah, fun stuff right? :rockin: But then someone asked if anyone had made beer (loosely termed) from pepsi (or coke or Royal Crown Cola).

Has anyone goofed off and tried this? Let it get flat and then add yeast? I'm seriously thinking about trying it with a 2 liter and some brewing yeast.

I think the result would be nasty, but maybe not?

Let the flame begin!

Wow... I was just about to post this in the soda forums, then I realized nobody uses it. I had the same discussion with my brother this weekend. Has anyone done it?

It would not be beer. It would be Hard, flat, used to be cola.

Not sure it would even ferment given all the Phosphoric Acid they use in colas.

Reactions: WIP
You'd be better off just adding sugar and yeast to water. By fermenting out all of the sugar in the cola what flavor you would have left would, I'm guessing, be pretty nasty...just acid and caramel coloring. IMHO, of course.

phosphoric acid.....check

You could carbonate it again if it fermented. I might try it, it'd cost a dollar right? At least it might be cheap entertainment.

Yep, it would recarb if you primed it, or if there was anough residual (sp?) sugars left.

Sure, give it a try. Just don't blow yourself up :)

It's been done. I know I've read about people doing it with Mountain Dew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back