What (if anything) do you consider "pre-sanitized"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last night while filling a keg I stuck my finger in my little jar of lube and lubed up the ring to seal the keg...then it dawned on me, I never thought to sanitize the lube on any of my kegs.

granted it won't come in direct contact with the brew...but ti will be "in" there.

I've just always considered the lube "clean"...

Which got me to thinking what other things I consider "clean":

Keg Lube
Aluminum Foil (right off the roll)
Oregon Fruit Puree
Hops

How about anyone else?
Is there any reason why I shouldn't consider these things "clean"?

The lube you['re using should be food safe, therefore it'd have to be sanitary going into it's tube. I think...:D

Prepackaged food items I'd consider ok, Foil always get's a starsan spray, hops are naturaly antiseptic, thus the reason IPA was originated. In case you didn't know. They were over hopped to help ward off infection during the long trip across the ocean to/from (don't remember) India. Hence the name. India Pale Pales.

I'd sanitize the foil. If you are using teh puree in a secondary scenario then taht should be okay too. Not sure if the puree is pasteurized after packaging or not.

Hops are fine. And I am just not sure keg lube could be sanitized (unless by pasteurization) without turining into muck or separating into ooze. Not sure it's even a safe harbor for any bugs.

iodophor. at least, i hope they sanitize those bottles before they are filled. ;)

How about bottled spring water? It says on the 2.5gal jug that its treated with ozone (an alternative to chlorine to kill the badies). I still boil it to be safe, but I was just wondering if its already "clean".

How about bottled spring water? It says on the 2.5gal jug that its treated with ozone (an alternative to chlorine to kill the badies). I still boil it to be safe, but I was just wondering if its already "clean".

If it's bottled, and not filled at one of those machines you do yourself, it should be good. They'd have to use sanitary bottles and adequate treatment. I use RO water for some things, but it's in water cooler bottles I fill myself, so boil is a must.

Yes, be sure to sanitize the tin foil off this guy's head! :D

14922d1203442021-obama-illegals-share-same-message-n522306244_197290_3718.jpg

Back