What I this?? & How does it work??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent-smith

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am lookin for a bit of help.

I have just made my first batch of home brew and all is look good.

But my father has passed down this little keg thing. He has no idea how it worked or how to use it.

I have hunted around google but can not seem to find any answers.

Does anyone here know what it is for and how to use it?

I would say it holds around 6L.

403ED899-B78F-44B2-8BBA-30DB9589DC61-1008-000000F9C4ABFEFB.jpg

Cheers Trent :)

Yes that looks similar to the dispenser I have for the mini kegs I can sometimes get. This one looks like it comes with its own keg. I would guess you fill it with homebrew and add some carbonating sugar, let it condition and dispense it with a CO2 charge. See if you can unscrew the end of the metal thing and look inside for a cavity the size of a cartridge and a piercing device on the inside of the part still attached to the spout.

Hi, Yes the end does unscrew and it holds a small co2 bottle. So to use this it is just the same process as bottling only the container is pressurized. Will this use the same amount or sugar ratio as bottling? Also when this is carbonated in the container will the sediment not get mixed around once pressurized? Thanks

Can you tell how much it holds? Looks like it says 6 liters. If that's the case I'd try conditioning it with about 15-16 grams of corn sugar. I figure this way: to condition a keg I use about 44% of the sugar I would use to condition a batch of bottles. I use about 53 grams of sugar to condition 19 kegged liters or about 2.8 grams a liter.

If it has a dip tube that goes all the way to the bottom some yeasty stuff may come out at first but if the yeast is quite flocculent you should get a clear pour after a while.

You could use the CO2 cartridge to flush out any remaining air in the keg but I would try to do that sparingly because the don't hold a lot of CO2.

Maybe if there are any brand markings on it you can google that and get better instructions.

Back