What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

friarsmith

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I believe you really need to pressure can it to get the wort up to 245 to kill botulism spores.

I did some stronger wort and diluted it down with spring water and that worked fine. It is easier for me to can at the desired gravity than to mess around with diluting wort.
What about water bath canning then refrigeration til use? I tend to brew in condensed windows of time, like 5-6 times in as many weeks then go on hiatus for a few months, so the jars wouldn’t sit more than 6 weeks.

I would probably clean, then dip jars in boiling water for a few mins, then fill w/ near-boiling starter solution before a boiling water bath for 15 mins. Then refrigerate once the lids “pop” shut.

The above method is how I process tomato sauce and salsa, and those are good for 2yrs plus. I understand the acidity of those foods plus addition of lemon or other acids helps prevent botulism. USDA indicates botulism is more apt to thrive w/ pH > 4.6

Perhaps acidify the condensed starter wort to this level w/ lactic then the dilution later on would raise the pH and be an ok environment for yeast?

Found this link re: canning wort: How To Can Wort For Easy Premade Yeast Starters In 2022.

Just spitballing here

Last edited:

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog, I'm Leroi
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@friarsmith I cant comment on how safe a water bath is and how long it would be safe to use.

I do know I have seen the idea of adding acid to make it safer but I dont recall where that ended. I have a pressure canner that gets to 15psi so it was more of curiosity.

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog, I'm Leroi
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Kegged my Admiral pilsner today. I had the keg connected to the fermentor the entire time to purge oxygen so no cleaning. I had some issues with a duo-tight fitting so might not be completely purged. Next time I do a fermentation purged keg I am going to swedge the beer line on to a barbed disconnect. Much more cloudy than brew day but that is the yeast this time.
IMG_3925 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Stopped at LHBS to drop off last two entries for competition, exchanged 5lb co2 tank and bought some oak cubes. Politely requested husband to buy some bourbon on his way home to soak them, totally forgot we talked about using BSB (brown sugar bourbon) for this one and he's got a fifth winging it's way home now. And currently boiling out shiny new 14g SS kettle from morebeer that arrived today, that will replace old keggle. The only downside is I don't need to brew for at least a week or two. Plenty of time to decide what I'm brewing next!

Erik the Anglophile

Reaction score
Had a glass of McChouffe and tinkered a bit on my to-be kegerator.
Almost ready for action, just have to attach the gas manifold, a small fan and a piece of 2x4 behind the taps to get them out a bit from the fridge wall.
Gonna oil the wood tap handles and the piece of wood that will sit behind them, then paint the fridge black sometime in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_224246.jpg
    IMG_20220513_224246.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220513_224253.jpg
    IMG_20220513_224253.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
B6B23D68-970E-4235-AB1D-8911310B3FFE.jpeg
29FD476A-9F8A-4E90-9709-39ED395774F9.jpeg
Thursday night I racked my beer to the serving keg and cleaned all the equipment. I’m happy with the hydrometer sample of my DH American Pilsner.
Yesterday I picked up some malt from a local malt company. They buy all NYS grains & their prices are the same as anything I would buy from the only LHBS which is a 30 minute drive. This malt company is less than 10 minutes away.
25lbs of flaked wheat
50lbs of Pilsner

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Did an impromptu (read: husband was not home) batch of lager yesterday, because reasons (read: I was bored). Going to breakfast with friends this morning, got a nice roast in the fridge that will be pot roast later for Sunday dinner, and might keg off my Strong tonight. Oak cubes aren't ready for it yet, but they will be in a few days.

Reaction score
Finally installed my @Buckeye_Hydro RO System that I bought back in October. Life has been...busy. After testing, I ran the waste water hose out the garage into the rain barrels, so all waste water will be dutifully poured out onto the hops and grapes (and the rest of the garden).
IMG_2136.JPG

Last edited: