What hops you recommend me use in this styles of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dionisio

Reaction score
I want to produce these styles of beer:

American Pale Ale
Irish Red Ale
Outmeal Stout

What types of hops you recommend me use

There's a recipe database on this site that's going to give you some good insight if you browse it.

Make an APA with American hops of your choice. To me Centennial is primo.

IRA and Oatmeal Stouts can use more American hops if you want to save money and buy in bulk, but depending on your tastes you'll probably enjoy the more to-style English earthy varietals instead. Fuggles, EKG etc.

Centennial is great for Pale Ales, IPAs, and even in Stouts and Porters. It's my go-to hop. Bell's Two Hearted is an IPA that is hopped only with centennial. I also like to use Citra and/or Galaxy for lots of fruity and citrsuy flavors/aromas. You also can't go wrong with Cascade for almost any American style ale.

For a Pale Ale it really depends on what flavors you want. When I'm building an APA or IPA recipe, I think about what flavors I want from my hops. Citrusy, tropcial fruity, piney, herbal, earthy, spicey, woody...once you know that you can choose the correct hops.

This link might help you choose: https://www.hopunion.com/aroma-wheel/

As mentioned above, if you want to be more true to style with the stout or Irish Red, you can't go wrong with English hops such as Fuggles or East Kent Goldings. Willamette is good in Oatmeal Stouts, although it may not be as true-to style (which has never bothered me).

Back