What Hops To Grow For Lagers..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrankyBeaverBrewery

Reaction score
im a lager kind of guy and all my beers are gunna be lagers.. so im wondering what hop rhimozes i should buy to make lagers.. haller hops ?

I would go with any of the noble hops, but I dont know if I have ever seen rhizomes for them.

I would probably check some resources for recipes that sound good, and just go with the hops in them, that way you know you will have what you want to use rather than having to base a recipe on the rhizomes you order

Hallertauer grow well here in my area. They are a "low yield" hop variety, but they grow like weeds so you soon get a heckuva large crop. I don't know if you could get sterling, but that would work also.

You could try Northern Brewer rhizomes. It's grown in the Hallertau region and works great in German-style beers.

If you really want traditional lager hops, look around all the major homebrew shops. They all sell rhizomes and I've found they do carry different varieties. Look around until you find what you want. My dad's growing Hallertau for me. He got his rhizomes from Midwest.

Back