What hops in Storm King?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeeperforlife

Reaction score
Im planning to do a imperial stout in the (hopefully) near future. Im a big fan of Storm King and i was just wondering if anyone knows what kind of hops they use? On the website all it says is "pacific northwest hops"
Thanks

Sad to say that all I can find is "Pacific Northwest hop aroma & character upfront." It tastes like columbus and centennials to me, but who knows.

Well, it probably uses some fairly high alpha varieties from the Pacific Northwest, so CTZ or any of the "C" hops would probably be a good way to go. There isn't mush hoppiness in Storm King, from what I recall it's a massive malt bomb, so any clean high alpha bittering hop will probably work just fine. As for late hop additions, if you want to do one it probably won't make a huge difference, but Pacific Northwest again suggest something like Cascade.

Well, it probably uses some fairly high alpha varieties from the Pacific Northwest, so CTZ or any of the "C" hops would probably be a good way to go. There isn't mush hoppiness in Storm King, from what I recall it's a massive malt bomb, so any clean high alpha bittering hop will probably work just fine. As for late hop additions, if you want to do one it probably won't make a huge difference, but Pacific Northwest again suggest something like Cascade.

Sounds like you haven't had it fresh, at that point it tastes almost like a black double IPA to me.

Sounds like you haven't had it fresh, at that point it tastes almost like a black double IPA to me.

Well. it does have to get here from PA first, and then no telling how long on the shelf till I picked it up. Good beer, just don't remember a lot of hops.

Hoppiest Imperial Stout I've ever had by a long shot. I agree with loading up with the "C" hops, that seem to be where most of it comes from IMO. I would probably even dry hop if you're planning on drinking it fresh.

Ok guys thanks. I was thinking columbus for the bittering also. Just wasnt sure about the late addition. Guess a little cascade would be worth a shot. The worst that could happen is i make a good imperial stout that doesnt taste quite like storm king

Back