What hops go wth Munich malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
So I am thinking about picking up a sack of Avangard Pale malt and Avangard Munich (I've noticed a certain flavor in several commercial beers that I am really fond of, and after some research I have determined this to be from Munich). I brew primarily blonde ales, pale ales, IPAs, with the occasional maltier amber ale thrown in. I'm recently getting into brewing lagers too.

My thinking is that with a sack of pale malt and a sack of munich and re-using yeast, I probably won't need to make any trips to the homebrew store to brew the styles listed above. That leaves me needing hops, so I was thinking about buying a couple pounds of a couple varieties in bulk so that way I have all the ingredients I need on hand to brew my favorites styles.

So what hops go well with munich-y pales and IPAs? I'm a big fan of Troegs Hopback and Nugget Nectar, so I was thinking maybe some Nugget. I might even play around with doing a Munich SMaSH, so I'd be interested to hear what hops would be good for that.

I'd say it all depends on how hoppy or malty you want your beer. As far as a Munich SMaSH, I would stick to the noble hops - Saaz, Tettnager, Hallertauer, Spalt.

For an IPA you could stick with Cascade, Amarillo or Centennial hops. I'll leave it up to the IPAers to give further recommendations there, as my knowledge here is a bit lacking.

I'd say it all depends on how hoppy or malty you want your beer. As far as a Munich SMaSH, I would stick to the noble hops - Saaz, Tettnager, Hallertauer, Spalt.

For an IPA you could stick with Cascade, Amarillo or Centennial hops. I'll leave it up to the IPAers to give further recommendations there, as my knowledge here is a bit lacking.

I was just thinking about a Munich SMaSH with a noble hop. If I were to buy a noble hop in bulk I could use it in my lagers too...

How about Simcoe? I generally like the more resinous type IPAs but I'm not sure if that would go well with the malty flavor of Munich?

Simcoe would work well so would Apollo or chinook.

You may want to get some Vienna malt though or a light crystal like 10 or 20L for those blonde ales. With just pale malt and munich they might turn out a little heavier than youd like. Then again, if you use 85+% pale malt and the rest munich you might have something. I brew a nice light wheat blonde in the summer thats 45% pale malt, 45% wheat and 10% munich and all amarillo hops to about 30 ibus or so. Its good!

Long Trail is doing a SMaSH series. They just released a munich/equinox that was very tasty. Not hoppy at all though, malt really shined. So any hop similar works well.

100% Munich and Spalt with a clean yeast will get you somewhere close to an Altbier.

I really like the flavour of munich malt.

I'm dry hopping an ale with Maris Otter (~75%), Munich and wheat. I used cascade for bittering and flavor, and citra for aroma and dry hopping. I'll keg on Fri or Sat and let you know how the sample tastes!

I went with a Munich warrior smash. Having not yet isolated either in any batches, it seemed like the right course of action. 1.045 og, total of 2 oz hops (exact schedule unavailable, a slight bias towards maltiness on the og/ibu chart, and the rest into late additions. Almost sweet maltiness, enough ibu to almost balance it, and an ever so slight grassy hop flavour.

About any hop will fit Munich malt... Depends on what style you want to go. More important is which yeast won't bite your hops. Some yeasts can give immense flavour and drown your carefully selected hops.

So malt and hops? Go for it! They'll fit! Yeast and hops? You might need to do some thinking here.

Really malt incorporates much less flavour for the end result than people think.

Glad i saw this...

I have perle and I have cluster. Was hoping t use up 20+pounds of munich.

Any suggestions? Don't mind picking up some adjuncts but did want to kill the Munich.

Glad i saw this...

I have perle and I have cluster. Was hoping t use up 20+pounds of munich.

Any suggestions? Don't mind picking up some adjuncts but did want to kill the Munich.

What type of Munich do you have. Light Munich can be used as a base malt, darker ones could be a problem.

What size batch. 20 pounds would be a really big beer if only 5 gallons.

To the original question: You can make almost any type of beer with varying amounts of Munich. You can use any hop you want, it only changes the style, flavor, aroma etc. It is beer!

What type of Munich do you have. Light Munich can be used as a base malt, darker ones could be a problem.

To the original question: You can make almost any type of beer with varying amounts of Munich. You can use any hop you want, it only changes the style, flavor, aroma etc. It is beer!

This is what I was going to say.:mug: I like munich in lots of styles from DIPAs and browns to lagers. I think it's very versatile malt.

Its light Munich. It will be a 10 gallon batch. I would prefer not to do a true lager at this point but would like to use a german ale yeast.

Thanks

Its light Munich. It will be a 10 gallon batch. I would prefer not to do a true lager at this point but would like to use a german ale yeast.

Thanks

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
2 lbs 3.27 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 1
0.14 oz First Gold [7.5%] - Boil 60 min Hops 2
0.21 oz First Gold [7.5%] - Boil 15 min Hops 3
0.14 oz First Gold [7.5%] - Steep 0 min Hops 4
1 pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029)

For an idea. A quick google search. This one is on Beersmith. It is a 1.19 gallon recipe so you would need to adjust it for 10 gallons. You can look for hops that are similar of go with ones you like.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions guys. Sounds like I can't go wrong with picking up a sack of Munich as well as a sack of pale malt. I still have a bit of Cascade, Centennial, and CTZ in the freezer from my last bulk hop purchase so I might go with a noble hop, nugget, and a danker variety.

I suggest Lublin or Smaragd, if you feel like trying something (slightly) different. Lublin are a Polish-grown Saaz, and Smaragd is a Hallertau variety. If you can find them, anyway.

I suggest Lublin or Smaragd, if you feel like trying something (slightly) different. Lublin are a Polish-grown Saaz, and Smaragd is a Hallertau variety. If you can find them, anyway.

I love Lublin, I find has a different aroma and taste to Saaz. I can only get them online in a 90g pack. I'll have to take another look one of these days to see if I can get them more easily.

Nikobrew has pounds of both for cheap, but they are older. They are kept frozen in vacuum sealed mylar bags, and I've never had an issue with any old hops from there. Flat rate, $5 shipping, too.

Edit: I see you're not US based. Shipping may vary.

Back