What Hop filtration device do you use for boil kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salukibrew

Reaction score
Hey homebrewtalk friends. I just recently bought a new Blichman 15 gallon pot to begin brewing delicious 10 gallon batches. We decided to use a somewhat low end metal mesh to place over the drain spout. Unfortunatly our second batch we had issues with hop clogging and blockage issues and ended up haing to pull out the immursion chiller to cool down the last 5 gallons. We obviously realized it was our hop blocker issue. I was told to get a small amount of heavy gage fine (like window screen) stainless steal screen. Then bend into pocket to slide over thhhe spout. When looking around at local hardware stores there was none to be found. Short of ordering a whole role of the stuff from the internet or a high end "hop blocker" device does anyone have suggestions for who I could ask or other remedies for blocking boil hops? I would like to brew again this weekend so even a temporary fix such as using hop bags would work in mean time.

If I did put my boil hops in hop bag would it affect the quality of hop oil dispersal in a a 10 gallon batch? It just seams that non contained hops have such better distrabution and effect...

Here is what I use

image-300360660.jpg

A fine mesh hop bag. I just dangle it by clipping the tie string to the kettle handle with a caribeener. Easy to pull out for adding hops throughout the boil.

...nothing?

I've always gone the "stop siphoning/close spigot once it starts getting chunky" route; three or four weeks in primary and a couple in secondary later, my beers are clear and non-grassy-tasting, and this is with pellet hops.

That being said, if you're worried about it, eric's solution looks pretty good; he's killing two birds with one stone, catching the chunks and aerating the wort as it dribbles through.

I just built a hop spider before my last brew. It cost me 12 dollars and worked very well. I was very pleased with the way it worked. Search it on here and you will find plenty of DIY instruction!

I just built a hop spider before my last brew. It cost me 12 dollars and worked very well. I was very pleased with the way it worked. Search it on here and you will find plenty of DIY instruction!

Yep, hop spider with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag is what I use for my 10 gallon batches that are hop bombs. For the more lightly hopped beers I just throw them in and let every thing go into the fermenter without straining.

Stainless coffee canister with a reusable coffee filter insert inside(bed bath and beyond). Fits perfectly. Put a 1/4"npt to 3/8" pushloc to connect quickly to my brew pot valve and drain to the topside of filter. Drain below the filter. I only used it once or twice as it clogs with pellet hops but it is a very cool piece. I may use it also with my hop blocker and essentially filter my beer. Also Home Depot sells stainless screen already in a sleeve. I did not buy it but think it was around 1.5" dia. It would be great to slip over a copper coil in the bottom of your brew pot. Drill the copper with many small holes and connect to you drain valve.

helibrewer said:
A fine mesh hop bag. I just dangle it by clipping the tie string to the kettle handle with a caribeener. Easy to pull out for adding hops throughout the boil.

+1 I use a big nylon grain bag clipped to the kettle with a large binder clip (of all things).

Stauffbier said:
I made a filtered diptube for my kettle. It works great!

That looks awesome! Have you had any issues with clogging? Do you use a pump or gravity?

That looks awesome! Have you had any issues with clogging? Do you use a pump or gravity?

Thanks! I use gravity, and it's run slow a couple times but never clogged. I've been using it for about a year (maybe 25-30 batches). I keep meaning to enlarge the opening to allow for quicker flow, but I always seem to forget.

Stauffbier said:
Thanks! I use gravity, and it's run slow a couple times but never clogged. I've been using it for about a year (maybe 25-30 batches). I keep meaning to enlarge the opening to allow for quicker flow, but I always seem to forget.

I like the idea, but would have to try with my pump to see if it worked well enough without restricting flow. Otherwise, very ingenious!

I like the idea, but would have to try with my pump to see if it worked well enough without restricting flow. Otherwise, very ingenious!

I'd be interested in knowing how it works with a pump. Let me know if you ever try it.

Back